Help...61 wont start

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
Guys,
Ive been busy working on the 61...replaced the full trunk pan and put new brakes and wheel cylinders on front.
After putting on wheel cyl. I went to start the car.

Nothing, not a sound from starter and no headlights.

Put in good battery and same thing. The top motor still works though. All ground straps in place and no broken or loose wires that I can find. All fuses look good. What now?
Its convertible cruising season and I cant get it going :mad:
couple pics new trunk
Thanks,
Pat

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
impalaragpat said:
Guys,
Ive been busy working on the 61... I went to start the car... Nothing, not a sound from starter and no headlights.

Sounds like that your hot wire isn't connected. Check your hot wire from the battery (source) to the voltage regulator. Make sure it's connected and getting 12 plus volts to the regulator.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
impalaragpat,
I would check the plug-in on the firewall, it may have worked lose or corruded. There are two located on the drivers side, under the master cylinder. One is the starter harness, the other is the headlights, I have had my 61's do the same thing and found this to be the problem.

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Same thing happened to me about two years ago while backing the car out of the garage.

The 12 gauge wire running along the top of the radiator support had an open circuit inside the swagged part of the battery connection.

Check for 12 volts at the junction block near the horn relay.

Mike

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
OK now

got the 61 started.
Still dont know what happened but got it going. :dunno
Traced power to ign sw and voltage reg.
still had no start or lights. Crossed leads on starter w/ screwdriver.Then started with key and had lights. Hope it doesnt leave me stranded.
thanks all
Pat