HELP! Are 409 heater cores different?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I'm trying to replace the heater core in my 1964 Impala and ordered one from Napa and it arrived 2 inches too short. Went to Kragen and theirs was also too short. The original is a Harrison and it is 12 1/2" long. The replacments are only 10 1/2". After I took out the heater box, I found a white stencil stamp on the end of the box "409".. Now I am wondering if the 409 cars took a larger core..

Anyone know if this is possible or where to find the correct size core?

Thanks, Mick

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 37
  • heaterbox.jpg
    heaterbox.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 37

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Take your original to a good radiator shop and they should be able to repair or recore it. After all its just a little radiator. I have fixed two that way, one in each car listed in my signature.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
rwagon57 said:
Take your original to a good radiator shop and they should be able to repair or recore it. After all its just a little radiator. I have fixed two that way, one in each car listed in my signature.

Thanks John: I did just that and we matched it up with being the same as a 64 Buick Envicta core... Ordered one for the big Buick.. Still wondering why the Chevy cores didn't fit.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mick, What a mystery. I know little about restorations, but I would have thought all the heater cores would be the same. Could this be another way to identify a true 409 car from a clone? Im sure others have run into this, hope they post their experiences. Very interesting.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mick,
I have 409 on my heater box, too!!! My car is a 63 but its an original 409 car! I thought that maybe it was just a fluke. My car would have been built sometime in april. Maybe thats a date stamp? When was your car built?
Ross

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Impalaguru said:
Mick,
I have 409 on my heater box, too!!! My car is a 63 but its an original 409 car! I thought that maybe it was just a fluke. My car would have been built sometime in april. Maybe thats a date stamp? When was your car built?
Ross

Build date is week one June.... 64 Somebody mentioned the oversize heater core might be installed in convertibles being shipped to cold climates.. I don't have a clue....

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I guess I never thought about that. My car is a hardtop but it was sold new in Lenox, Iowa. Maybe the cold climate cars got a bigger heater? Or maybe, for some reason, the new heater cores are smaller because the mfgr figured out they can graft a smaller core onto the big car tubes? Maybe they are using the same core for Chevelles, Novas, etc, etc.
Ross

bobs409

Administrator
Odds are it's just the new ones are made cheaper! :mad: Replacement parts such as this are only made to function, not look like original.

If it can be made cheaper and sold higher, it will be done. It's the modern American way...

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
O,,, BOY !!!!! I can see it now,,,

EBAY here we come !!!

409 Chevy Heater Cores !!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I just picked up a third core from yet another company. It to is only 10 1/2" There is no way this will fit in my heater box. The hold down clips don't even come close to touching the new core. The Buick core (4th attemp) is a closer fit but still about an inch short. I will make some modifications to get it to work..

Still puzzled why there would be a difference and wondering if I should hang on to this old 409 core for a future eBay sale!!

Mick

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
There are 2 original 409 cars unmolested in this area.(I know the original owners) I hope I can talk the current owners into taking the boxes out.:takethat One is a 425 h.p. the other is a 340 hp if that might make a difference.