Help decoding cowl tag

23plumpt

Supporting Member 1
Went to look at a 1961 impala bubbletop today. The paint and trim codes were correct, black with red interior. however the acc. code read 37-c I could not find anything in my research. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also it was a V8 vin#

Thanks,
Bob:bang

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob I don't recall seeing that number, I've got one on mine I haven't seen either but I guess it only applied to St. Louis cars
robert

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Accessory codes were not universal and varied by assembly plant. Generally only things that required specific changes to the body at the Fisher body plant were listed on the trim tag. Things like power windows, seat, rear antenna, tinted glass, padded dash, console etc. would be listed unless they were part of a specific model, ie., the console and shifter would be implied with the SS interior trimcode for bucket seats so would not likely be listed on the ACC codes although I have seen some tags with SS on them. A floor shifter in a Bel Air though would require a body mod so it would more likely show up as an ACC code. :dunno

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I agree Cecil. Maybe my whole car is a "mod" as the number that's on mine isn't in the usual location. But since mine was built the last week of May 61 I always thought it was a Monday morning car built after a midwest party weekend.:doh:doh
robert

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's a couple of examples. The 64 is a 425hp built in Van Nuys. The 63 is the most obvious tag I've seen, with the ACC codes being the same as the RPO numbers. It was built in Framingham, Mass. I wonder what other cars built in Framingham has for codes.:scratch

63tagsa.jpg

64425hpTI.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob:
The cowl tag already tells you everything you need to know...................................................it's BLACK with a RED interior!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap Go for it!!!!!!!!!

23plumpt

Supporting Member 1
Decoding cowl tag

Hey Guys, thanks for all your help. I think Phil is right it's the right color combo and it is a solid rust free car. Now let's see where my offer goes?

Bob:)