Help. Electrical system/lights pulsing?

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
Could the chrome alternator and bracket be causing an issue? I’ve had a couple of guys now mention that they had issues in the past. Possibly a grounding issue?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You are not showing 12 volts unless guage is off. Check direct battery voltage with battery disconnected to car wiring.

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
It can be 10 guage alt to engine block.
Lol I have a tendency to go bigger than I probably need, all of the battery/alternator/starter/gound cables are 2 guage, with the execpion of the power wire to the fuse block(and I didn't make that one). I am a firm believer in a robust electrical system.

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
Well, a bolt screwed into the back of the alternator and a 12 gauge ground wire to the fan shroud mounting bolts didn’t change much, if anything. I’m stumped. I guess I’ll revisit the power wire from the battery to the fuse box tomorrow

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
Read battery voltage with positive cable off. Then read voltage at battery with engine idling No fan on or anything else.
Battery tested 12.6V- good needs charged. Tested the alternator on the vehicle, started about 12.3V no load, then it had me turn on the lights, dropped to 11.7-11.4V, showed bad regulator, been doing this from day one out of the box .

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Battery tested 12.6V- good needs charged. Tested the alternator on the vehicle, started about 12.3V no load, then it had me turn on the lights, dropped to 11.7-11.4V, showed bad regulator, been doing this from day one out of the box .
Should be around 14.3 running ,nothing on fans lights ect. Definetly not charging.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
12.6 volts on the battery is right where it should be when charged and after any residual voltage has been drawn or load tested off. Are you able to bypass the voltage regulator to test just the alternator output? With the voltage pulsing, my guess is a regulator issue.