Help Enigine Info

jbholley

I just purchased a 64 impala 4dr hard top with no engine or transmission. I need to know how to find out what engine originally came in it . Thanks,:dunno

JBaker

Well I'm not real knowledgeable but will give it a shot. Decode your tag on the cowl and/or serial number. This will at least tell you whether it was a 6cyl or V-8.

If it was a V-8, about the only thing that will tell you if it was a 409 or not is the presence of a ballast resistor on the firewall and the only other way is to buy a front motor mount for a 409 and one for a small block. Place the motor mount over the mount bolted to the frame. If the 409 mount is too sloppy and the small block fits snug, chances are it was a small block V-8.

Other people should be able to chime in here and hopefully be of help to you also.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Look at the VIN in the drivers door jamb. If the first 3 numbers are 418, it was a v-8, if they are 417, it was a 6-cylinder.
Next find your fuel line. It is on the passenger side of the frame. If its a 5/16 (and you have a v-8 car) you had a 283. The 5/16" line runs on top of the frame rail. If you have a 3/8" line it will run underneath the upper A-arm on the passenger side and come out just a head of the upper A-arm. The 327 and the 409 both used the 3/8" line. If you have a 3/8" line follow it back until it just about disappears under the fire wall. If there is another smaller line clipped onto it there you have found a fuel return line and you would have had a 409 under your hood! If you don't have a fuel return line, or the forementioned ballast resistor, you have a 327 car.

The 327s available were the 250 and 300hp. I'm not sure how to tell which one would have been there. The 327 used a 2 1/2" exhaust and the 250 hp used a 2" exhaust. All 409s used the 2 1/2" exhaust. If your car was an automatic it could have had any engine up to the 340hp 409. If it was a manual it could have had any engine available that year.

If your car still has its fender emblems the 283s would have had a V, and the 327s would have had the same V but with flags on it. The 409 would have had the flags with 409 numerals above. Since your car is a 4 dr ht, and a more up-scale car, I bet it would have at least had the 283. But a 327 would not be unusual in a car such as yours.

Let us know what you find out!!

Ross

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
mounts

What are you saying is different, the frame mounts or the engine mounts. I thought there was just a V8 frame mount and a V8 engine mount. Which one is 409 only? Why would one fit loose and one tight? Explain this in more detail please. thanks

jbholley

Thank You Ross

Thanks the car does still have the emblems on it it has a V with a flag in the middle. I decoded the vin and all it would show was that it had a v8. I appreciate the info on the decals.

JBaker

OK, the frame mount "perches" where the motor mount slides onto, where you slide the single bolt through to tighten down the motor mount. The 283/327's perches were a little narrower than the 409 perches. Most people will buy 409 motor mounts, bolt them to the engine and slide them over the perches and have about a 1/4" of slop. They tighten them down antway and crush them together.

If you take a 409 Motor Mount and place this over the perch on a small block V-8 car you will see and feel the slop. If you buy a 283/327 motor mount and so the same, you fill see and fell a tight firm fit.

Hope this is a little clearer.

Thanks

Jbaker