Help identify fuel pumps with glass fuel bowls

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, long shot but here goes. I found these in a 1955 Oldsmobile. As far I know, neither are for that car as I found remnants of the original still on the engine and it's an inline fuel bowl, not attached to a fuel pump.

The first one (first 2 pics) was made by the Carter carb corporation and has M779S with F0-1 under that stamped into the fuel pump flange area. The glass bowl on this one is threaded and simply screws on.

The second one: (last 2 pics) I searched ebay and found one that looks like this and it was listed as being for a Flat head Ford. Yes/No? There are no numbers but it has Airtex on the top.

Any idea's? Any sites to decode or identify such parts?

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

• 100_3616.jpg
    100_3616.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_3618.jpg
    100_3618.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_3622.jpg
    100_3622.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_3621.jpg
    100_3621.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 85

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ok, long shot but here goes. I found these in a 1955 Oldsmobile. As far I know, neither are for that car as I found remnants of the original still on the engine and it's an inline fuel bowl, not attached to a fuel pump.

The first one (first 2 pics) was made by the Carter carb corporation and has M779S with F0-1 under that stamped into the fuel pump flange area. The glass bowl on this one is threaded and simply screws on.

The second one: (last 2 pics) I searched ebay and found one that looks like this and it was listed as being for a Flat head Ford. Yes/No? There are no numbers but it has Airtex on the top.

Any idea's? Any sites to decode or identify such parts?

Thanks,

Bob

Looks similar to the pump on my son's 52 chevy 216 6 cyl. 40's-early 50s. Sorry I don't have anything specific.

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

The Carter M779S fits a 1937 - 51 Chevy 6cyl. It is in fact, a replacement for whatever was originally on the engine as AC was the OE pump.

The Airtex fuel casting you have inthe other picture does fit an early Ford. It too is a replacement.

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
Two more things.......

That Carter pump is very rare.

If anyone ever has a question having to do with older screw-together fuel pumps, don't hesitate to ask me. I have been rebuilding those pumps for quite a few years now.

bobs409

Administrator
Got another one! Hoping to find out what this one fits now. I was back at the 55 Olds scrounging through the vast amount of junk inside it and found this one. The glass is missing though.

This has 978CAX stamped on it. I don't see any names but is made in the USA. (remember when car parts were?)

Any help on this is appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_3679.jpg
    100_3679.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_3680.jpg
    100_3680.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 80