Help needed in Alexandria Louisiana - check 62 Chevy SS 409 convert

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A good friend of mine in California needs help checking Legacy Auto Sales in Alexandria and a restored 1962 Chevy impala SS 409 convertible maroon black top, 4 speed 2-4 car
not sure that it might be fake ? Price is $31,000
Anyone close we have $ available to pay to check car and dealer ???
it’s a to far for me to check from NW Iowa
Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That price sounds too good to be true. I'd be careful with that one.
A few cars in the past, when I was going to spend a lot of money and didn't want to travel where they were located, I used an inspection company called Lemon Squad. I know they inspected cars for me in Arizona, Georgia and Louisiana. I ended up buying the one in Georgia, based on what they said. It was my cloned '62 SS. I was very happy with their service. They located the car. Drove it. Inspected everything and anything. Interviewed the owner. Provided copies of documents. Sent me over 100 pics of it. Gave me a copy of their checkoff sheet and their professional opinion. Most important to me was, that the car actually existed and was owned by the seller without attachments. As mentioned, I used them three times because of the money involved. I bought other cars for lesser money I never looked at. A leap of faith, I guess. Never got cheated on them. This was all several years ago. I'm sure things have changed. Sometimes, not for the better. Everyone draws a line in the sand differently as to what they will tolerate. Are patient with. Willing to accept. Spend. Risk losing. Etc. There are a lot of cheaters and scammers out there. Buyer beware is all I can say. Best wishes, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A good friend of mine in California needs help checking Legacy Auto Sales in Alexandria and a restored 1962 Chevy impala SS 409 convertible maroon black top, 4 speed 2-4 car
not sure that it might be fake ? Price is $31,000
Anyone close we have $ available to pay to check car and dealer ???
it’s a to far for me to check from NW Iowa
Paul
Hi Paul. Any movement yet on that car?? Please keep us posted as to its status. If your friend declines, I might have an interest in it. Maybe it's just me, but I still can't believe that price for what you purportedly get. I looked at these done nicely before buying my '55 vert. and they were very expensive. Some were a 6 digit figure. Thank you, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
i called Lemon Squad - they want $330 to sign up. Does that sound right.

I think it’s a scam, when you look up the address there are no cars at the address.
The wants 1/2 the money first and says he will ship it, according to my friend. Plus he offered $27,000 and the guy said
he would take $29,000
The company is Legacyautocarssales.com. That’s the link to the 1962 Chevrolet Impala.
phone 318-495-2787 -
address is
105 Bolton Ave.
Alexandria, LA 71301
email is
sales@legacyautocarsales.com

I think someone needs to go to address and determine if cars on web site are there at the address.
After I talked to Lemon Squad it seemed like a open end for $ to spend when its not for sure there is
a dealer at the address ( all on line with internet pictures and by phone ).

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The aerial map shows the vacant building next door to the right as Legacy

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
i called Lemon Squad - they want $330 to sign up. Does that sound right.

I think it’s a scam, when you look up the address there are no cars at the address.
The wants 1/2 the money first and says he will ship it, according to my friend. Plus he offered $27,000 and the guy said
he would take $29,000
The company is Legacyautocarssales.com. That’s the link to the 1962 Chevrolet Impala.
phone 318-495-2787 -
address is
105 Bolton Ave.
Alexandria, LA 71301
email is
sales@legacyautocarsales.com

I think someone needs to go to address and determine if cars on web site are there at the address.
After I talked to Lemon Squad it seemed like a open end for $ to spend when its not for sure there is
a dealer at the address ( all on line with internet pictures and by phone ).

Paul
The $330.00 for Lemon Squad sounds about right. Several years ago, I paid $300.00 and nothing never goes down.
I agree, it sounds like a scam big time to me. The price alone and then willing to take less. I wouldn't send them one single dime.
With what you uncovered, it would probably be a waste of money to hire Lemon Squad for them to investigate and tell you nothing exist. Nothing more then verification to what you already feel. If this arrangement was even close to being legitimate, then yes, I would hire them. But for me, it's not. My limited experience, you just can't buy a car like that, real or clone, for that money. Recently, I saw a '63 SS 409 vert. that went for $65,000.00. This deal doesn't pass the stink test. Not sure how big the Alexandria, LA., community is, but do they have a Better Business Bureau to contact?? Something maybe county wide?? How about a police agency in that area?? Advise them that there might be something fraudulent occurring which is criminal?? Sheriff departments are big in the South. Just have to be very careful. Was it PT Barnum who said there is a sucker born every minute and two to take him?? Very true, Carmine.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a buddy that is constantly sending me links to unbelievable deals on cars and I have to repeatedly remind him not to send money and if it's too good to be true don't move forward but this is same friend that was sending a Russian girl money to get here to the states and suddenly on the way to the airport she got robbed and he needed to send more money and I said that's it stop. That convertible you mention is a scam no doubt.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If everyone can stand another of my stories, beats my jokes, I'll tell you one. I've probably bought about 8 cars during the past 15 years or so. Some needed full restoration and some were very nice, needing little. I knew what the full restoration ones needed. I was prepared for it. I didn't pay much and I didn't get much. My only concern was that they actually existed. I never had an outside source look at them. I spoke with the seller by phone and moreso, we did many emails. It's important that you memorialize as much as you can via texting or email. You have to establish a foundation in case something takes a crap. I did my own research as best possible and was confident that I wasn't going to be cheated. So, I sent the money and made arrangements for delivery. I recall a few of them came from Montana and South Carolina. They arrived and I was never disappointed. So, there came a time when I wanted a more done, complete car, needing little to nothing. Of course, these aren't cheap. I apparently had a knee jerk reaction to something and bought a car I didn't really want. How does that make any sense, right?? Well, this car was a '64 SS 327/250 with factory air, auto trans. Communicated with the owner, first by phone, then texting and emails. I felt very comfortable with him. He gave me some info and I researched it. The car was in great condition, pics which were provided, and was used in parades. It was located in Louisiana, about 75 miles from the Texas border. He practically begged me to come see and drive the car, which I graciously declined. I never had considered having anyone one, Lemon Squad for example, look at it. This was much more money then I had ever spent on a toy before. I asked him how do we make the sale?? He said that I send him the full amount and he sends me the car. I told him I wasn't comfortable with that. I told him he would have my car and money in Louisiana, and I have nothing in NY. He said that is the way they do it. Told him I would send him half the money and make arrangements to have the car transported. When it arrives, if it's what he says it is, I would send the other half and he could send the proper paperwork for ownership and registration. He wasn't crazy about this idea. Advised him that I would have to think about this further. I did learn that PayPal at the time, maybe they still do, offered some type of escrow account for issues like this, but I didn't go any further with them. I slept on it and overnight. I must have had an epiphany because the following day I sent the owner the full amount. The car arrived a few weeks later and it was exactly as described. I lived with the angels on that one and decided to not to buy sight unseen again. Especially, with the more costly cars. That's why I went with Lemon Squad a few times after this.
Almost forgot another time I used Lemon Squad that I haven't previously mentioned. Had an interest in a two tone '55 Belair convertible about 6 hours from me. Communicated with the owner who said the India Ivory paint was peeling for some reason?? Other then that, the car was in great condition. Being lazy that I am, I hired Lemon Squad to look at this car. They did a great job and saw the peeling paint. No idea as to why. I reviewed their report and pics. The owner wanted a lot for this car and when I considered the possibility of a new paint job, I declined the purchase. He wasn't really negotiable either.
OK. That's it. No more stories or jokes. Did someone say thank GOD. Haha. Going to turn the Yankee game on, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a buddy that is constantly sending me links to unbelievable deals on cars and I have to repeatedly remind him not to send money and if it's too good to be true don't move forward but this is same friend that was sending a Russian girl money to get here to the states and suddenly on the way to the airport she got robbed and he needed to send more money and I said that's it stop. That convertible you mention is a scam no doubt.
Be a friend and take his wallet and credit cards from him. That Russian girl money is as old as the green on their teeth. Very sad that in this day and age, people still fall for that nonsense, Carmine.

denson1932

Well Known Member
"This 1962 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible is powered by a replacement 409ci V8 paired with a four-speed manual transmission, and it was acquired in 2007 by the current owner, Hall of Fame baseball player Reggie Jackson." LISTED ON BRING A TRAILER: "Sold for $84,500 on 2/26/22"
VIN IS NEARLY THE SAME: 21867J260486<>21867J260468! HMMMM!! AND THERE IS EVEN WALK AROUND AND DRIVE AROUND VIDEOS ON THE INTERNET OF THIS CAR AND ANOTHER SCAMMER ASKING $50,700 WITH BUT A FEW OF THE PIXS HIJ-ACKED... OH WELL IT WAS FUN TO IMAGINE DRIVING IT WITH THE TOP DOWN AFTER THE SUN SETS...EVEN THOUGH MY EYESIGHT HAS FADED AWAY....

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dennis thanks :brow - I found the original sale on Bring a Trailer in 2022 for $ 84,500
a scam --stolen pictures and videos to be offered I am sure to persons being scammed

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-chevrolet-impala-ss-15/

Paul
No surprises there. When they aren't trying to pirate cargo ships off the Somalian coast, they are trying to scam people. We have to be happy for one thing: they aren't very smart. Actually ignorant. Most of the scams I've seen, they have the listed price way below the actual value. If that doesn't send up a red flag, nothing does. If they were closer to the real value, they just might catch someone, sadly enough. They don't realize that many who look to buy a particular car, for the most part, are well versed and familiar with it, in many areas, including value. I would really hate to be cheated. I can't put in writing what should be done to this scum if caught. I don't want the Fed's knocking on my door, Carmine.