Help with 9” and driveshaft

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did you have to cut a hole in the dash to use the factory type tach? If so do you have any pics.
How did the Sun tach fit to the stock housing? Are 61, 62 or 64 4 speed columns the same as 63?
It's like the stock tach as far as size, shape & location, how is it to look around to see the speedometer?
If I have to cut a hole in my dash and it's in the way of seeing my speedo I may just use an old school looking
tach on the side of the column more like a 62.
Also is there a shifter boot that would fit the hole in the floor like you have but would accept a rectangular handle
more like a classic Hurst?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
for steering 61-64 columns
61 and 62 factory 4 speed steering columns are the same
63 factory 4 speed and powerglide SS floor shift columns are the same (fit the 63 steering wheel)
64 factory 4 speed and powerglide SS floor shift columns are different diameter at the steering wheel mount to the column (the 64 factory steering wheel is a different diameter than the 63 steering wheel

All factory tachs in 61 and 62 were screwed to the steering columns and mounted with chrome reversed mounts attached to the chrome tach cup.

to use a boot for a Hurst shifter flat handle on the factory tunnel cover with the round hole(I have one on my 62 SS 4 speed car ) -- You can use the rectangular boot like this with or without the H on the boot -it covers the round hole as long as the tunnel cover is centered on the shifter body...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/301565902905

A friend of mine cuts the factory tach hood mounting holes in 63 and 64 dashes He has done 2/3 of them for me and others for friends. He has a already cut factory tach dash for a template.
-its not easy to get the 2 round hole mounting tabs that are necessary to mount the bottom of 63/64 tach hood and not easy to cut the correct oval hole in the dash. if not cut correctly the 63/64 factory tach hood will not fit...

Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
2 clarity questions Paul on the 63-64 columns.

1. Could you swap the top part/parts of these columns to use a 63/64 column on either year and then the wheels could fit?
2. Is the signal light switch in a 63 and 64 column the same?
Don

taws697

Well Known Member
Did you have to cut a hole in the dash to use the factory type tach? If so do you have any pics.
How did the Sun tach fit to the stock housing? Are 61, 62 or 64 4 speed columns the same as 63?
It's like the stock tach as far as size, shape & location, how is it to look around to see the speedometer?
If I have to cut a hole in my dash and it's in the way of seeing my speedo I may just use an old school looking
tach on the side of the column more like a 62.
Also is there a shifter boot that would fit the hole in the floor like you have but would accept a rectangular handle
more like a classic Hurst?
The Sun Super Tach 2 slid into the factory style Tach housing pretty well. It is larger, so I used longer screws and washers to clamp it into place. I purchase the housing, rubber seal, and paper template for the cutout from Show Cars. After cutting the hole base on the template, I slowly enlarged the hole with a dremel to accommodate the larger aftermarket tach body. At 6ft tall, it doesn’t interfere with my view of the Speedo much. I guess it would some if you are shorter. I purchased my steering column on eBay and went through it. I reused the original piece that meets the dash because it is Biscayne specific.
DF27D692-A152-4716-8870-4EE996AA5F44.jpeg
1164E09A-1F36-4206-8498-C7B5CCE8DDB6.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
2 clarity questions Paul on the 63-64 columns.

1. Could you swap the top part/parts of these columns to use a 63/64 column on either year and then the wheels could fit?
2. Is the signal light switch in a 63 and 64 column the same?
Don

Don,
The 64 steering column turn signal part next to the steering wheel is about 1/4 inch smaller than 63's and 61 & 62's.
I just checked and 64 shifter section of the column right below the turn signal portion is also smaller than 63's (only fits the 64 turn signal portion of the column). So the 64 Impala steering wheel will only fit a 64 column as I noted above. To make a 64 column fit a 63 steering wheel you would have to change the upper two sections of the 64 column to 63 column parts

I am not sure about the turn signal wiring for 63 and 64 -I think they are the same. The parts inside the turn signal switch housing by the steering wheel might be the same size - even though the round signal housing piece is 1/4 inch smaller on the 64's.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The Sun Super Tach 2 slid into the factory style Tach housing pretty well. It is larger, so I used longer screws and washers to clamp it into place. I purchase the housing, rubber seal, and paper template for the cutout from Show Cars. After cutting the hole base on the template, I slowly enlarged the hole with a dremel to accommodate the larger aftermarket tach body. At 6ft tall, it doesn’t interfere with my view of the Speedo much. I guess it would some if you are shorter. I purchased my steering column on eBay and went through it. I reused the original piece that meets the dash because it is Biscayne specific.
View attachment 100410
View attachment 100411

Did you make the two round screw mounting holes in the bottom of the dash "when you cut the tach hole" I am asking about the two mounting holes on the bottom of the dash that hold the metal tach hood in place on factory tach 63's and 64's (and one screw on top of the dash for the tach hood to hold the pointed end to the dash).
Or did you find another way to hold the metal tach hood to the dash section ?
Paul

taws697

Well Known Member
This picture shows what I am asking about with the two mounting holes on a factory tach 63/64 dash with portions of the dash turned down for
the two lower tach hood housing mounting holes.

View attachment 100415
Yes, I mounted the Tach housing using 3 screws like the factory. After I had the hole cut and the housing resting where I wanted, I drilled the holes. I carefully drilled the holes at angles that would allow the heads of the screws to rest nicely in the holes of the Tach housing.
E1330987-95F0-433E-9AAD-5F9A205B8E51.jpeg
C6A0274D-0353-49D4-AC61-75DB12301CFB.jpeg

Attachments

• 4935F534-BF62-4509-A352-9677F8CB7442.jpeg
    4935F534-BF62-4509-A352-9677F8CB7442.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Taws697,
You said " I reused the original piece that meets the dash because it is Biscayne specific. " When I look at this pic, the lower portion of column to the left of "ACC" looks like the one on my Belair. Can you explain?
Thanks
View attachment 100419
[/QUOTE]
I reused the original piece that meets the dash because it is Biscayne specific.