help with lower control arm--2nd post

playswithcars

Well Known Member
Sorry, my first post didn't come through.:doh

Car is '64 Impala SS which I just removed front springs and upper control arms. Am I missing something or ?? but I can't get the lower control arms off the larger single bolt in the rear. Fronts bolts are out and you can slightly rotate the control arm on the rear bolt but can't get it free. It is the same on each side. Can someone offer advise or the trick to removing the arms. I was hoping to install new bushings etc to tighten the front end.

Thanks for the help,

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
been there................get a bigger hammer and drive the bolt upward thru the lower cross shaft and frame brkt. you may.............but i wouldnt use acetylene. just do it cold.
maybe you can move it enough to get a sawzall between the cross shaft and frame. then replace the bolts.

playswithcars

Well Known Member
been there................get a bigger hammer and drive the bolt upward thru the lower cross shaft and frame brkt. you may.............but i wouldnt use acetylene. just do it cold.
maybe you can move it enough to get a sawzall between the cross shaft and frame. then replace the bolts.

Thanks walkerheaders:cheers --- I didn't know if the bolt was splined to the cross shaft so I was afraid to real blast it. I have sprayed it several times with PB blaster in hopes it would penetrate and break down some of the rust. The next step will be the BFH.:brow

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Beat It! Beat It!

I beat mine til I got a little room and then cut it off with a saws-all. Once it is off, it's easy to bang out the stuck bolt end.