Hi everyone

55Chevy283

Hi I realized I have just jumped into discussions without much or any introduction. Wile I love the look of those W motor valve covers and want to own one someday, I am frequently off topic. I notice you guys are all really nice and didn't seem to mind. I like talking to guys who love vintage performance engines from this time period and many of you like to go fast with old stuff.

My name is Henry. I am 26 years old and majoring in Accounting. I plan to graduate in the spring. I built my 55 Chevy 7 years ago and have driven it daily since. I currently have a 283 with a 4 speed and 4.56 gears wich gets amazing gas milage for a carburated hopped up V8. On my recent trip to Fredricksburg, TX from San Antonio, I got 17mpg. Even with the "30/30" cam. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't just prove it. I had 3.70s in the car for the trip, but it felt like I was lugging the engine a bunch especially cruising through the Texas hill country. I don't think they offered much advantage once I got passed Boerne. I use the loud pedal a lot less with the 4.56 gears. Its a 9" so I keep several drop-outs. I just put the 4.56 gears back in. Much better. I am now ready for my grudge match with a couple of friends in their late model Chevys. I think I will win. Well, thanks for reading my ramblings.

Great forum guys.

Henry

55 Chevy
283 with 2.02 Bowtie heads
".030/.030" cam
C3B intake Holley 600cfm
Muncie 4 speed M20
4.56 gears