Hidden VIN on frame

bobs409

Administrator
I couldn't find any up on the front area of my 63. The rear frame rail was in bad condition so I replaced that, didn't see anything there either. :scratch

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What year is that schismatics from? All my 61's have been on the right rear frame rail.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I made the additions in red on that diagram after Robert, Brian, Ronnie and I visited Pat Lobb's shop while he was restoring one of the 62 bubble tops. The frame was sitting on the floor and and finding them was real easy. Are they in the same area of the right frame rail Dan.

Also has anyone found them on other year frames and were they in different places or did they match either the 16 or the 62?

I'll update that diagram and post it on the board.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I made the additions in red on that diagram after Robert, Brian, Ronnie and I visited Pat Lobb's shop while he was restoring one of the 62 bubble tops. The frame was sitting on the floor and and finding them was real easy. Are they in the same area of the right frame rail Dan.

Also has anyone found them on other year frames and were they in different places or did they match either the 16 or the 62?

I'll update that diagram and post it on the board.
Yes was in the same area on the right side rear only.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Does it make any difference if a one piece (box type) frame or the two piece (C channel type) frame?

Steve

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
All of the 61's that I have done have had the vin stamped just as shown in the drawing above. Doesn't matter the frame vendor. Pretry much always under the drivers seat.
The only other place that I have found the vin is on the left rear and that was on a 66 Impala.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not sure about 54 and earlier but 55 up had double VIN stamps on frames, normally in area shown on 58-64 and equivalent location on box frames, namely just about under the drivers left cheek and again a bit farther aft. Never saw one on the right. Corvettes had them on the left under the drivers cheek and on the left frame kick up.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure about 54 and earlier but 55 up had double VIN stamps on frames, normally in area shown on 58-64 and equivalent location on box frames, namely just about under the drivers left cheek and again a bit farther aft. Never saw one on the right. Corvettes had them on the left under the drivers cheek and on the left frame kick up.

I can't find a vin stamping on my '59 El Camino frame what so ever. And I've looked like crazy all over the frame.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can't find a vin stamping on my '59 El Camino frame what so ever. And I've looked like crazy all over the frame.
Maybe you need to go down to the drug store and get a set of high powered 1/2" thick readers and them maybe you will be able to find it...:poke
All kidding aside sometimes they are very hard to find. The stamings fill with dust and dirt and you can't see it but, if you take a wire brush and start cleaning off the frame rail it will pop up if its there.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe you need to go down to the drug store and get a set of high powered 1/2" thick readers and them maybe you will be able to find it...:poke
All kidding aside sometimes they are very hard to find. The stamings fill with dust and dirt and you can't see it but, if you take a wire brush and start cleaning off the frame rail it will pop up if its there.

The frame has been sand blasted, lightly sanded and the body is off. I can't find any numbers in the shiny, near new looking metal.

I'd post a link to my build in the projects section, but I don't have a good picture of the drivers side front part of the frame in there.
I'll post some pics of the drivers side front frame, top and inside (facing the transmission) and I'd like to see if anyone can spot the VIN.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
For what it's worth, some of the frame stamps are very light and extremely hard to find and see. A friend was redoing a '61 Corvette and showed me the stamp on his newly painted black frame. It took some imagination to make out the vin number. It was necessary to hold a light just right in a very brightly lit shop. Good luck in finding yours.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your frame is sand blasted....you've probably lost the VIN.
On my frames when I have them powder coated I always point out the vin location and tell them to just lightly dust that area. Also a good blaster will already know this and be very carefull here.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your frame is sand blasted....you've probably lost the VIN.
Crimeny, I hope I never have a problem requiring an inspection...
Good thing it has been registered to my mom & dad for more than 20 years. I'm hoping if there was a VIN problem, it would have come up by now.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
When we did a 62 Impala convertible, the VIN numbers were pretty much exactly where they're shown in the diagram.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A proper stamping will have a depression around it. Look for a flattened or slightly depressed area.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
A proper stamping will have a depression around it. Look for a flattened or slightly depressed area.

Hey Cecil,
Good advice
As you are aware i have a strange sense of humor and was thinking " if i got a proper stamping on the head, i would most likely have depression afterwards":D

Sorry

Steve

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
This is what you are looking for, barely readable but this is the vin on my 61SS. as you can see, it is located on the left frame rail by the mount for the transmission cross member.

frame vin number.jpg