Historic Drive-In Theater is For Sale in Northern Michigan

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
We had the Mohawk Drive-In, right around the corner, from where I live. There was a large Indian, on the side wall. It was Magnificent. Someone complained. The Indian was gone. Then, after the Home Video craze, the drive-in closed it's doors. That was around 1989. Sad day, for all. Now it's a shopping mall with a KOHL'S and a few other business's

Attachments

• Mohawk Drive-In 1970's.jpg
    Mohawk Drive-In 1970's.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 18

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sad to see them close. Such a nice part of my life at one time. I'm still fortunate though. I have two within 20 minutes of me. One has just one screen and the other has three screens. They also have car shows at the second one. I suppose it's just a matter of time before they fade away too. Young people today have their own form of movie watching and social media. They'll never know what they missed by not taking their date to a drivein movie. We called them passion pits for a reason, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm glad I was able to experience it. Starting as a little kid that would fall asleep half way thru the first movie, up to the late 80's as a teen. (I was able to watch both movies by then without sleeping) :crazy I had both my 68 Impala and 66 Chevelle there at least once. (some other cars too)

I really loved the smell of the night air with that cooking french fry aroma wafting around... I can imagine that smell right now!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think the first drivein movie I saw was PSYCHO by Alfred Hitchcock. It was 1960 I believe and my parents took me with them to it. Not sure why. That was a scarry movie to show a 10 year old. I can still see that shower scene. Being stabbed and her pulling that shower curtain down. Blood in the drain. I was so scarred, I think I soiled myself. I know I refused to sleep in my bed that night. Slept with my folks. Took a bath for the longest time. No shower for a while. I still see that movie on occasion, and it still scares me some. I read that it took 7 days to get that shower scene just right , Carmine.