Holmes Valve covers

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here are some on Seattle Craigslist.
1960s Finned Aluminum Valve Covers for Chevrolet 348 or 409. Inside the covers is cast "Holmes Mfg. Co" Covers are in nice shape in need of polishing. Best to call me at 253-307-5255 since I do not monitor my email on a regular basis.
Holms Valve Covers 1.jpgHolmes Valve Covers 2.jpg

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Eddie Edmunds was probably the first to make aftermarket finned alumuninum valve covers for the new crop of OHV engines that started showing up in 1949 with the new Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles. He was quickly followed by Holmes Manufacturing Company and Offenhauser. Dean Moon, founder of the legendary Moon Speed Equipment Company, saw the potential market for the covers and started purchasing them from Holmes for sale as Moon Valve Covers. The Holmes branded covers had Holmes Mfg Co cast on the inside of the covers. The ones Holmes produced for Moon had nothing cast inside of them. They were stamped inside with the cars and years they fit. Eventually, Holmes discovered they were going nowhere in the speed equipment business and abandoned it. Moon purchased the Holmes patterns and modified them to show a part number inside.

NN-48 were 409-348's and NN-42 were early Olds.(late 40's thru early 50's, 370 and smaller Olds) NN-43's were for the 394 Olds. I'm sure there were NN-44's NN-45's. etc etc. You guys get the idea. (I'm rambling....Do your own research)....lol;)

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Pair on ebay. Big Money.

Someone thinks there old Moon valve cover is worth $1200???
That's just plain dumb. You can still buy a new set right from Moon for $300 and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It's the same casting. I guess the new one would shine more out of the box but bead blast the new one and it will look like the old one. Save yourself $900. Use that money for something useful like forged pistons or better yet send Bob some cash to help keep this website going!!

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
It's been a while since I looked at the underside of the valve covers in my avatar, but I seem to remember them being Holmes branded.