Home heating oil

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know what I am saying is somewhat simplistic but in the overall scheme of things wealth always rules and the oil companies certainly have accumilated a lot of wealth.:dealRoy

You are right in some respects.
And I agree that the consolidation of oil companies is not good for anyone,, but,

I really don`t believe the oil companies are the main bad guys here.
I just think they are making the best of it in these outrageous prices !!

Do I think they dislike the high prices? NO
They love the record profits !!! but,
As long as the wrong people are investing in oil futures the oil companies will rejoice and pocket the extra money !!

Is it time the US government does something? YES

Believe me,, I will be the first to say I hate the govenment to stick their nose into any business, but,

These prices are killing all of us in many ways,

Like taking money out of our pockets paying for the high prices to get us and the products we buy to market.
We then have less to spend in the stores, restaurants, entertainment and everything else.
This hurts everyone !!

I don`t know whats going to happen or when, but something has to be done,,
We all know that !

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
I think everyone who has commented here is correct to some extent on these outragous fuel prices. You have to look ask who is buying the oil.

I have two theories.

1. The U.S. oil companies are raising prices inorder to force our Government
to lift restrictions on drilling for more oil in Alaska and off-shore and ease restrictions on building more U.S. refineries.

OR

2. Enemies of the U.S. are the speculators who are driving up the cost of oil on the World market. They want to finacially ruin America and turn us , and others, against our Government.

Either of these theories is harshly affecting the way all of us are living.

One of the things our State Governments could help us is to lift the requirement for ethanol in our gas. Ethanol does not have any postive benefit to us at all. We pay more at the pump, we pay more in subsidies, we get fewer miles per gallon, and now there are more reports of engine problems caused by corn based ethanol.

I don't think any politican has the balls to get to the bottom of this. I just hope we can all survive.

Paul

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
" I don't think any politician has the balls, to get to the bottom of this " :clap:clap That's the truth. They are SO greedy, they don't want to consider, lifting either the Fed. or State taxes off gasoline. They all keep saying that it would be a short term fix? $ 4.00, $ 5.00 or even $ 6.00 a gallon, wouldn't hurt these greedy bast*ards. Today, in our area six or seven motorists complained, that after getting gas at different Mobil stations, they had problems, with their cars. Mobil blamed Red Cap, who is a distributor. I don't believe ethanol is the answer either.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just read a news letter from Whitmore. He puts out a newsletter on investment. He said in his 40 years of watching commodities trading almost all hot commodities are run up by promoters. The general investor usually loses his shirt. His slant on the oil run up has nothing to do with supply and demand but in promoting a panic mode. The money behind this is from the same people who brought us the 1972 and 73 oil embargo. When the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market the Feds moved in and broke them. Mr. Whitmore says there is bigger money than the Hunt brothers in this and they are mostly Saudi's and middle east money running up the market which in turn gives them more profit. Mr. Whitmore says that they will get out when they feel the time is right and all the unknowing speculators will be left holding the bag. A margin call will go out and some people will be jumping out of office buildings. In the mean time we will be trying to come up with enough money to fill our cars. As a side note in the oil embargo days I could have bought a 1969 Buick Rivera for $300 and now I can buy a 2002 F##d Explorer for $3000. As always this to will pass and life will go on and some of us will be hurt by this and that is what I care about is the hurting of people because some people are greedy. :cryRoy

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Roy: I remember the 73 oil embargo well.:mad: I was working part time, nights and saturdays, in a Mobil station, near my house. I'll never forget the long lines of cars, going a 1/4 mile up the road. When people got to the pumps, we told them, 5 gallon maximum. They were so hyped up over this, they wanted to take it out on us, the workers.:dunno People became paranoid, that the gas would stop altogether.:dunno I remember this one lady. She drove a 1970 Nova. She would come in, every saturday. She would tell me to fill it up. I would start pumping her gas, and then $ 1.50 later, the pump would shut off, and shoot gas out of her tank.:roll Usually all over me. Finally when 11:00 PM rolled around and it was time to close. We would turn out all the lights, and fill OUR tanks, up to the brim.:roll I hope history doesn't repeat itself. The way people are today. They wouldn't think twice about shooting you, for gas.:takethat Skip:)

bobs409

Administrator
Speaking of shooting, just watch the crime rate go up over these high prices. As if crime wasn't bad enough these days. :(

And cigarettes! I heard they are reaching for $10 a pack in New York. :eek:

Sure glad I quit those...

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
You guys that use oil to heat your houses better start saving and quick! We just got a lock in price of $4.59 a gallon for the upcoming season! So hows $4,590 dollars to heat our house this winter sound? Last year, we paid $2,300. It's only DOUBLE what it was last year!

Needless to say, my new garage will probably never see any heat. :cry Maybe I'll buy the cars a nice big blanket! :D Heck, I may be living under a blanket this year myself!

Sorry to bring this news. Just trying to prepare you.

Bob

I'm in NJ and I make biodiesel for the winter. Costs me about 60 cents to 1 dollar per gallon and a weekend off and on per 100 gallons. Problem is finding the used vegetable oil to convert. Anyone that can supply me with some used restaurant cooking oil can get a good price on biodiesel. You can use it to run your boiler or diesel car/truck. You will need to change the fuel filter at least once soon after starting to use biodiesel...as long as you keep using some biodiesel every now and then, there's no need to change the fuel filter again.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Roy for posting Mr Whitmore's assesment. He lends credence to my theory in a sorta-kinda way.

Paul

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
One of the editors of Wall Street Journal said oil would be at $200 a barrel by summer. Some Saudi probably paid him 100K to say that. That was what Mr. Whitmore was alluding to in his letter. :mad:Roy

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks Roy for the view.
This has messed up our area also. Crime way up, assaults up and there are many folks buying new gas tanks because "crews" work lots and parked commercial vehicles; quickly puncture the tanks then drain and run.
robert

Old School

Supporting Member 1
One of the editors of Wall Street Journal said oil would be at $200 a barrel by summer. Some Saudi probably paid him 100K to say that. That was what Mr. Whitmore was alluding to in his letter. :mad:Roy

You can bet he and his WS buddies have loaded up on oil contracts and after they scare everyone and run it up even higher, they will cash in on the mother lode... while we are getting screwed they are getting rich..

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,, so I`ll tell you what I really believe,,
I don`t think our government want to ever drill any of the oil on our countries soil,,,
Why?

Because when the rest of the oil in the world is depleted,, many years from now,, We will still have our oil !!

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
These Idiots keep telling us that the market is well supplied and there is no shortage. Just yesterday the price of crude jumped $6 a barrel a RECORD!!!! All because the dollar got weaker. How about Natural gas? I just got mays bill and thats gone up too. I read a report called "The trillion dollar report" and it alks about an oil find in Montana and southern Canada. Its called the Bakken Basin. It supposedly has 503 billoin barrels in it. The trouble is getting to it. A geologist developed a way called Horzontal Directional driiling and could pump it for about $16 a barrel. How come we never hear this from the media.