Hood hinge plating

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Has anyone here had there hood hinges (or any other parts) re-plated gold cadium as OEM ?

Is there any other parts on a 61 chevy that had the gold cad plating ?

Hood latch ? ( I'm thinking no ).

Trunk latch ?

I can't find a place local to me for plating, so I did a on-line search and found this place : http://www.yellowzincplating.com/
sent them a note. Waiting for a reply. Anyone use them before ?

I also need to locate a place to re-chrome my front left bumper section.

I'm located in Northern Indiana, so naturally I would like to find a plating company close by.

Randy

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The '61 & '62 hinges and the upper and lower hood latches were gold cad. the metal plate that the lower hood attached to should be painted black or a natural color. I send my stuff to Steve Gregori. WWW.Brakeboosters.com or 559 875-0290. Not real expensive and they always come back looking great.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a friend in Galena Illinois that gets the plating done for my 62's(over the last 12 + years) which have the same colors as 61's. He cleans the parts and then gets them plated.
I just had about $900 of plating done(for more than one car) including hood hinges(for about $80 a pair), trunk latches, strikers, (I did almost a full bucket of bolts and small parts for about $125 - this $ amount included in the $900) . I had gold and silver zinc chromate plating done. Remember if the parts are pitted, they will show the pitting after the plating.
It normally takes about 4-5 weeks. His prices are very fair. I can provide his contact info if you want. I have pictures of all the 62 parts, for the entire car if you want ot see how they come out.
Paul

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
rsz_1rsz_0033.jpg
Tommy,
This one is a dark green on my 61 Biscayne have you seen this before?

The '61 & '62 hinges and the upper and lower hood latches were gold cad. the metal plate that the lower hood attached to should be painted black or a natural color. I send my stuff to Steve Gregori. WWW.Brakeboosters.com or 559 875-0290. Not real expensive and they always come back looking great.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I feel sorry for you guys that don't have platers and other industrial shops near you. It's expensive to ship off this stuff and the guys doing this are way over charging you. Zinc plating (any color) cost $65 per 100lbs, less if you're a big customer. This is just plating no prep work which would be done by you prior to dropping off. Normally overnight service.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
View attachment 23876
Tommy,
This one is a dark green on my 61 Biscayne have you seen this before?

Yes, that is the natural color, that part of the latch was phosphate coated and they turn a greenish color over time. The latch mechanism was gold cad and the rivets should have silver colored heads. When you get it back from the plater the whole thing will be gold cad, most people either leave it gold or paint the metal part black. It would look better if you could duplicate the greenish finish after it's plated.