Hot Rod Power Tour

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Just wondering if anyone here is going to go on the power tour this year. I'm going to do the last 3 stops, Davenport,Iowa--Arlington Heights(Chicago) Illinois and Green Bay,Wisconsin. Be nice to meet some of "youse guys". :cool:

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Hey Ed, I plan on swinging down to Davenport with my brothers chevelle club (I'll be driving the flamed 60 4 door), Maybe see you there!

CK

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
I will most likely be in my 99 Silverado because as you can see my 63 ain't quite there yet,close but not quite....

Attachments

• primer coat 006 resize.jpg
    primer coat 006 resize.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 190

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Hey Ed, that 63 looks awesome. If it runs and drives it looks ready to me!! Looks better than a rusty dented 4 door :p At least I know Hot Rod magazine aint gonna be askin for a feature....or even looking at it :eek: haha. Hope to see ya there.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There's a very good chance I might also be there. Don't know what I'll be driving though. That 63 looks pretty good to me. 1000 times better then my 53 anyway. (Carl am I right?) How long are they going to be in Davenport?

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Bungy,they will be there June 9th.On past tours I've been on,the group starts arriving at the venue around noon and they have the show till about 4-5 pm.I understand Edelbrock will be sponsoring a cruise night there.That should be cool!
Generally they leave the following morning to head to the next stop on the tour and do it again.A couple of thousand enthusiast cars all heading down the road at the same time.It's good fun. :cheers

59fins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Davenport Iowa

Ed,
what happens at the tour "stops" is it just a car show type thing? or is there a vender midway, what does the entry fee get you? I see it is 55.00 to go the tour, I would love to do Davenprt on, but I have not tested my car enough yet to take the tour.
I live about 25 minutes north of Davenport, I will be at least stopping at the fair grounds to see the cars, how many usually show up there?
Where are you guys staying in Davenport? the Hot Rod web site says the host motels are full, do you know what the host hotels are?

Carl I hope none of those chevelle's get in your way, cause I am conviced that they will get burned :D

I would like to meet some of youse guys too, Carl will be easy to spot I would think :cool:

Carl are you coming to Davenport only or you taking the rest of the tour?

any ideas on a time to meet? , anybody else coming to Davenport besides the guys in the earlier posts?

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Mr.59fins
The 55 bucks gets you into the fairgrounds,and it is a sort of combination car show,bs session,picnic etc. Only those on the tour can get in because they give you a decal for your window.Last time I went in 2001 they had a drive on dyno,I believe it belongs to Holley,and they would do horsepower contests.(there was this 65 chevy doing like 1100 horsepower,amazing.This car was being driven on the tour.!) There are NO trailer queens!
The various manufacturers all have big displays,especially Edelbrock and Chevrolet,and they all have people there to answer any question you might have. (Gee Vic,what do you mean six two barrels are a bit much?)
I'm Staying at some place called Days Inn in Davenport and as far as Arlington Heights I will just go home at night,same with Green Bay,as I live about halfway between those two. I used to live in Chicago's western suburbs and there are PLENTY of motels around.You are near Palatine,Schaumburg,Des Plaines and a dozen or so other towns,so that shouldn't be a problem. As for Green Bay I am not familiar with that area,but I'm sure someone out here is and could be more help in that area.
If you go,bring some folding chairs and the cooler,and bring a camera.You will see a lot of good ideas and novel approaches to things.Like a Blown 468BBC Geo Metro.A 700 inch Pinto. And so on.
I look forward to meeting "youse guys" :D

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Hey bungy, Yeah that does look better than your 53, but your 53 is cool too, just enough rattyness. :brow
I just realized, June 9th, thats a Wednesday, I hope I can get off work!!!! Cruise night? Thats just my style! Cant wait.
Hey Fins, hehe, I dont think I need to worry about them getting in my way, I'll probly have the slowest car, although they DO have to worry about me rearending them.......my brakes suck. I'll only be doing Davenport, would like to meet you too, a bright red 59 Impala should be easy to spot too!

CK

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
We'll be there, weather permitting

Ed,

My brother and I plan to head up in my '64 from here (Milwaukee) to the doings at Lambeau on Friday a.m. I'd like to get there kind of early then park and watch all the other's arrive. Having seen your '63 in person, I would not hesitate to take it.

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Hey Brian,good to hear from you.If you look at the picture above,I had just primed it,and now I am in the process of block sanding it.I never realized all the sins that show up while blocking,so suffice it to say a lot of "adjustments" are being made.As you know this is kinda fussy and TIME consuming,and it will need to be reprimed again,and I just won't have it done by then.The color will probably happen around the end of June,Don't want to booger up the glassy smooth primer. :dunno
So I guess I will take my truck.I was going to take my Camaro,but I sold it.
How far along with the 409 are you? I am going to pull the 377 and put a 427 in this winter,building it for low end grunt.
See you at Lambeau.Yah hey dere!

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
I hear ya.

Yeah, I spent many months trying to get my '64 straight before final paint. I'd hate to put expensive paint over body work that still isn't good enough. It takes a lot of time when you are doing it all yourself on a tight budget like you and me (me for sure). But there are also a lot of people out there who'd appreciate your car in primer (nice wheels too, by the way). I'm still trying to convince my brother to fix the brakes on his rusted out '63 Impala 4 door for June 11th because the Power Tour sounds like a great big come-as-you-are party. Have you read any of the posts on the Hot Rod website Power Tour page? Some guys are planning to drive T-buckets with 4:11 gears all the way from Texas to Green Bay - yikes!

If you take I-43, you might want to watch for the St Nazianz exit (Hwy C near Manitowoc). There's a guy right at the interchange (SE corner) with a huge tent-like building. Last summer he had about 30 cars in it for sale, including 5 409 cars. It's worth a stop to see what he's selling. I bet it'll be a busy place on the 11th.

As for my 409, it's sitting until I can swing some of the missing parts. A couple people here have offered to sell me pistons and other needed parts for it at fair prices so I should probably get what I can before I lose out.

Sorry to ramble. I hope others here on the site find something they can use in this long reply.

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
CarlK,Bungy etc.

This is a shot of the back window of my truck,the only thing that is even slightly different than all the other Silverados out there. If you see it ,see if I'm around and say hi. I sort of look like John Candy.

Attachments

• truck window.jpg
    truck window.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 47

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Ed,

We'll watch for you. Maybe you can watch for my '64 along the side of the highway. Your truck could tow it easy! Ha!

Say, now that I put 2 and 2 together, I wonder why the Tour wouldn't spend the day near you at the Great Lakes Dragaway instead of northern Illinois. It would be the perfect place for the crowds, the cars and the kind of racing everyone would want.