How adapt original 2x4 air cleaner to 5-1/8" carbs

sjt409

Seems like all the adapters I can find adapt 4-7/32" carbs to 5-1/8" air cleaners and not the other way.

So, how do you adapt an original 2x4 409 air cleaner with 4-7/32" cutouts with about a 1-1/2" rise to 5-1/8" carbs like the Demon 1901s??

Is there an adapter from show-cars.com or other source or do you have to make something?

Currently using single 5-1/8" Eldebrock air cleaners but would like to use the original air cleaner.

'64 Impala SS, 409 (481)/520+
'63 Impala, 409/340
'63 BelAir, 409/340

sjt409

Thanks for the replies.

Holly molly $50 x 2 is a pricey adaptation but would work. Had not seen that option.

Maybe can roll my own for maybe less than $40 using two sections.

I am thinking maybe glue a Mr. Gasket 9342 (5-1/8" x 1-1/2" riser section) or other riser height with a Mr Gasket 2082 or Proform 66315 4-7/32" to 5-1/8" adapter. This would fit inside the air cleaner without any cuts to the original air cleaner...

Has anyone tried that? other ideas?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the replies.

Holly molly $50 x 2 is a pricey adaptation but would work. Had not seen that option.

Maybe can roll my own for maybe less than $40 using two sections.

I am thinking maybe glue a Mr. Gasket 9342 (5-1/8" x 1-1/2" riser section) or other riser height with a Mr Gasket 2082 or Proform 66315 4-7/32" to 5-1/8" adapter. This would fit inside the air cleaner without any cuts to the original air cleaner...

Has anyone tried that? other ideas?
Not many options but simple enough to adapt a 2080 Mr Gasket.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wouldn’t “carve” on an original air cleaner as the final out come is definitely a loss of a bunch of dollars
Robert
I kind of agree but when adding adapters to carbs above or below, considerations for additional space must be made. The idea of loosing money and originality was covered in my post about destroying a M/T Power Ram for street use. The concensus is if you own it make it yours because you are the only one that has to use it. In this case though they made how many thousands of these air cleaners and they also reproduce them if I remember correctly. I have one hanging from my rafters in my garage myself.

sjt409

Update:

maintianing the them of no hacks to the original air cleaner I purchased two Mr Gasket 9342 1-1/2" risers. Now the front carb choke linkage binds on the original air cleaner hole which extends through the riser. Well...

Could use a 2" riser or put some type of gasket material between the air cleaner and riser with the 1-1/2" riser. Stillneed about 1/2" more for 100% clearance of the choke linkage on the Demon 9501 carb.

So, I am going to try adding the Mr Gasket 4-7/32" to 5-1/8" adapter ring which will raise the air cleaner. Since the engine is currently on an engine test station how would I know how much clearance I might have under the 1964 hood? No doubt the next issue as was mentioned by rstreet.

To get a good seal on the carb and at the air cleaner I may need some sort of gasketing material.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My experience with 64 hoods and air cleaner clearance has been that there is very little clearance on a stock set up. So adding any more than 1/2" in height will likely hit the hood inner structure bracing.