How big diameter rear tire?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Still kind of cold here in Chicago so I haven't been out to measure for rear tires. What is the largest diameter rear tire that won't run into that dog leg on the 62? Can a 28.5" diameter fit in there? Looking at Towel City or Hurst. Towel city is 28.5 Hurst is 28.125. Rims are 15x8 4.25 BS

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a 29.5" slick and it kisses that corner on my 63 when the tire grows. I think you will be fine with a 28.5 but measure first since ride height will effect that. Or is it affect. I forget.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
28" x 10.5" M/T slicks fit mine fine. The more the rear is raised the closer that dog leg gets to the tire. Mine has a definite rake and still clears so I think you'd be fine with either tire you are looking at.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Cool. Towel City answers the phone and has pretty good pricing and shipping. They start with a 235/75-15 as a recap. Hurst never answers the phone or the email. Towel City shipping is about $28 per tire. I'v had other slicks and drag radials on the car from time to time, but the look is wrong. I put Fenton spoke copies and tall tires on the front, going with steel 15x8 on the back with the pie crust. Still waiting on one made part to try and wrap up the rear. Thanks all

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep have heard great things about Towel City recaps. Great pricing, great customer service. Over on the HAMB, there are a LOT of people that have had issues with the Hurst Recaps. I think Towel City is the way to go. Be sure to post some photos! What front wheels are you using, Fenton copies? Pic? I'd like to do something similar for the fronts on my car

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well I just mocked it up and measured with a wheel. 30.25" will just touch the nearest point. I'm leaning Towel City. A guy in Canada has a set never used on rims for $250. No telling what the shipping will come to. He is on the HAMB in the for sale section if anybody is interested. 28.5x8x15 on 7" rims.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I bought a pair of 28.5x8 pie crust cheater slicks from Towel City delivered for $380.00. Should be here next week. Now, what color do I paint the 15x8 steel wheels? I am leaning black. Body color is white. I think body color wheels is good on everything but white.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
black for sure

16ghitz.jpg