How Do You Put A Vin Back On?

DENNISJR60

WE TOOK THE VIN OF MY FRIENDS 62 IMPALA (ACTUALLY IT STARTED COMING OFF DURING BLASTING) AND WE ARE WONDERING WHAT THE BEST WAY IS TO PUT IT BACK ON AFTER PAINTING THE CAR?:confused:

THANKS GUYS!

Hippie

If it was me I'd use one of the new urethane adhesives like they use to glue body panels on with. All you would need is a dab where the spotwelds were and that sucker will never come off. We use it at work to glue glass to painted steel and you have to have a special pnuematic tool to cut it out and you absolutely cannot get all of it off the surface if the primer was apllied properly. Takes about 24 hours to fully cure on thicker applications. For something like that about an hour and you're good to go.

bobs409

Administrator
I intend to "stick" mine back on in a similar fashion. I had to remove mine as there was a patch of surface rust around and under it. They practically fall off by themselves.

Not sure what I'll use but something sticky or gooey im sure. :D Whatever I happen to have around at the time.

crawler

Hippie - I can think of lots of uses for stuff like that. Can you give any namebrands and where it would most commonly be found?

crawler

Hippie

Originally posted by crawler
Hippie - I can think of lots of uses for stuff like that. Can you give any namebrands and where it would most commonly be found? crawler

We buy ours from Dow chemical in 55 Gal. drums and it takes special equipment to pump it. There are also primers and cleaners you have to use to prep and clean the surfaces. I know a lot of local body shops are using something very similar now you might check with some of them or your local automotive paint store. If your paint has any adhesion weaknesses though this stuff will let you know real quick !

bobs409

Administrator
I would think a dab or two of JB weld or urethane windshield sealant should also work. Or, possibly something really gooey like the buytl windshield tape. Apply a bit of heat to make it really stick.

kbc409nova

Supporting Member 1
Dennis
I used super glue on this application
one time, couldn't tell. I wouldn't want
to try getting it off again,---Kevin

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Super glue is water soluble ,,,,,It will desolve and fall off. There is a glue to use for glueing on emblems. 3M #08061,,,,,will glue anything,,,,any auto body supply house will have it,,,,dq

roy's63

Try 5200 it's a Marine sealant , baddest stuff on the planet, you can find it at Napa and Marine stores. And you can get a small tube