How long is the oil dipstick ?

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
I have a new oil pan from Show Cars on my 348er in my 58 Impala . Its the 6 quart oil pan for 62 - 64 , nr. 6014 . Its fits perfectly , but unfortunately i forgot to order a suitable oil dipstick and tube . That was 3 years ago . Meanwhile the oil dipstick was no longer available . I ordered a matching one from another seller . But if I fill in 6 quarter oil , the oil only comes to the minimum mark . But if I fill up to the maximum mark , the engine seeps the oil out again at the crankshaft at the back . My oil dipstick is exactly 21" long . Is that the right dipstick or is it too short ?

Greetings from Switzerland , Kurt

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Seeing this is a "stock" 409 pan, my guess is that the 6 quart capacity includes the filter. SC should be able to verify such. However the filter could influence the level with 6 quarts in. I would probably fill with 6 quarts (if that correct for this pan) and the filter you want to run and after running a bit, remark stick accordingly. Does SC no longer offer the dipstick assembly for this pan?
Jeff

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
I have 6 quarts in the pan and 1 quart in the filter ( spin on ) and than is the level on minimum .
The tube is the normal size , see my last pic .
How long are yours dipsticks ?

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would verify with SC, but my guess is that you are overfull by 1 quart. Verify that the filter you are using actually holds a full quart. Running overfull can cause serious issues if the rotating assembly is dipping into the oil. Oil becomes aerated foam which does not lube well and pressure will drop considerably!
Jeff

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Kurt, your 348 engine is a TRUCK engine, correct ??? If you have the truck engine oil pan for that engine, then it should take 6 qts for the pan, and an extra qt for the filter, total 7 qts. If you already have a dip stick, and tube, it does not matter if they are correct for that engine. Just change the oil, total of 7 qts WITH filter, let the oil settle down after running, and insert a clean dip stick and put a mark at the full level. This is what I had to do with my 348 truck engine. Works fine for me......

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
@ 55Brodie : thanks for the link , i have orderet one ;)

@62bubble : its not a truck engine , he only has one recess in the cylinders . The old oil pan was a 5 quarter , the exhaust go in front of the pan , behind the axle as a connection of the downpipes

When i fill it up to the full marking , it was 7,5 quartes only in the pan and 1 quart in the filter . the problem was not the rotating assembly is dipping into the oil , but that the superfluous oil escaped at the rear of the crankshaft . The freshly made engine sifted like an engine with 500,000 miles :confused. Now , with the correct oil level it's dry and i'm happy :D

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Kurt,if your car has the original car pan.the corect amount is 4 in the pan,1 for the filter.

Reactions: 327