How long will an M22 Muncie hold up to 500hp?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have seen several M22 Muncie 4spds for sale and wondering how they hold up to 500hp? I know a T10 or Super T10 probably won't take the abuse but now that the wagon is on the road and gaining miles every day, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 4spd for my sedan.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Believe it or not super T10 is a better fit for your 500 hp. I have one in my BBC Nova. However if you want a long life four-speed transmission buck up and buy you a G-force. I’ve had several muncies behind big blocks and have broken every one of them, but the nova on my avatar has the front tires up and I have not broken the transmission yet, knock on Wood. My opinion is Muncie’s work good on the street with street tires as long as you do not dead hook them up with full power! With factory gears of course.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
My Muncie was great being about 550hp until I started getting real traction.Then it didn’t last long. Mine had an Auto Gear case. If you can keep some tire slip you can get by. Slipper clutches help trans life, but you need to adjust them differently between street and track. I have changed to a G-force G-101A and slipper clutch. Great trans, bulletproof, and the harder you use it, the better it works. BUT, not everyone’s cup of tea on the street. My car is street “legal”, but it’s a dedicated drag car.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
My Muncie first gear after switching from drag radials to slicks. Now, mine didn’t have the M-22 style straighter cut gears, but I’ve always been told that wasn’t so much to make stronger gears, but to keep them from trying to walk out of the case, and with the Auto Gear case I want too worried about that. Somebody correct me on that if I’m wrong.

Attachments

• 5CFE2EBE-D4DD-4920-A422-F909FBFB519B.jpeg
    5CFE2EBE-D4DD-4920-A422-F909FBFB519B.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 30

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My 64 2dr belair sedan will be strip only. Going to shoot for Super Stock class but otherwise it won't touch the street. I don't have the budget to drop on a G-101 yet but the plan is to get a 4spd that will work well enough to get my feet wet and build on my strip experience. I'm a little slow out of the hole and just trying to get a feel for it right now with the family wagon. I'll look into the Super T10 a little more.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
When you do get ready for a G-Force ask them if they have any pre-owned cases. They did a used, factory checked case with new guts for me. Saved about $1000

The other BIG advantage of the G-Force is gear selection. Going from a 2.56 first to a 3.17 made a huuuuge difference getting the car moving. Then tweaking the other gears to suit you. I had concerns on the 1-2 gear spacing but it turned out to be a non issue.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Randy if you are looking at super t10s see if you can get one with the 904 nodular iron case it will add a lot of strength to the trans. I got lucky and scored a complete one on eBay for 150. The gears were shot but I found a Doug bad 4+3 trans Locally with a bad overdrive and used the gears out of it to build the super t10 in my 62.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When you do get ready for a G-Force ask them if they have any pre-owned cases. They did a used, factory checked case with new guts for me. Saved about $1000

The other BIG advantage of the G-Force is gear selection. Going from a 2.56 first to a 3.17 made a huuuuge difference getting the car moving. Then tweaking the other gears to suit you. I had concerns on the 1-2 gear spacing but it turned out to be a non issue.
Thanks for the tip.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Randy if you are looking at super t10s see if you can get one with the 904 nodular iron case it will add a lot of strength to the trans. I got lucky and scored a complete one on eBay for 150. The gears were shot but I found a Doug bad 4+3 trans Locally with a bad overdrive and used the gears out of it to build the super t10 in my 62.
Those are the tips I'm looking for. I've built a few manual transmissions for jeeps when we used to wheel so I'm not afraid to break them open.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Tooth has it dialed:good I second everything. I went pale in the face for several days taking the plunge on a G101a but that was the best $$$$ I’ve ever spent on a trans. You will not regret it. I’ve had mine apart to change ratios on 1 & 2 and it’s THE best designed transmission I’ve ever had apart. Soooo easy to work on. G101A and Tex racing T101A are the same both have the ‘handcuff’ center bearing support. Older G101 does not. GF4A is the new one, never owned one of those. I’m sure it’s a bad ass trans tho. I drive mine on the street all the time, just float gears like you’re in a big truck and it’s smooth as glass.

I respectfully disagree, a TKO600 is probably the toughest ‘for racing’ helical trans you can buy for one of our cars. You can order three stages from Liberty from stock to a face plated crash box. I ordered ‘stage 2’ with the carbon fiber blocker rings to fix the supposed ‘2-3 hang up’. Still haven’t used the sumb——h tho, haven’t had time to put it in the car:doh:doh:doh

Yeah I’ve heard of TKO’s breaking, but I’ve also heard Jerico’s breaking, and I broke the input shaft on my G101a. Nothin’s forever.

Edit for incorrect terminology:wacko

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It has a prominent place on my “Offerings to the gods of speed” shelf!
When I worked at a parts store we had a display case where we would bring in our most destroyed parts. People would come in just to see what was new. We had a bunch of race guys bring in some pretty amazing exploded parts. That was back when I used to wheel with the jeep. I would bring in mangled drive shafts and snapped axles from fellow wheelers.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What do the rules for Super Stock classes say about 4speeds? I'm assuming the main thing is no straight line shifters.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Tooth has it dialed:good I second everything. I went pale in the face for several days taking the plunge on a G101a but that was the best $$$$ I’ve ever spent on a trans. You will not regret it. I’ve had mine apart to change ratios on 1 & 2 and it’s THE best designed transmission I’ve ever had apart. Soooo easy to work on. G101A and Tex racing T101A are the same both have the ‘handcuff’ center bearing support. Older G101 does not. GF4A is the new one, never owned one of those. I’m sure it’s a bad ass trans tho. I drive mine on the street all the time, just float gears like you’re in a big truck and it smooth as glass.

I respectfully disagree, a TKO600 is probably the toughest ‘for racing’ helical trans you can buy for one of our cars. You can order three stages from Liberty from stock to dog & slider crash box. I ordered ‘stage 2’ with the carbon fiber blocker rings to fix the supposed ‘2-3 hang up’. Still haven’t used the sumb——h tho, haven’t had time to put it in the car:doh:doh:doh

Yeah I’ve heard of TKO’s breaking, but I’ve also heard Jerico’s breaking, and I broke the input shaft on my G101a. Nothin’s forever.

I don’t know if I should assume..... but I am assuming you use the clutch assisted transmission, the G Force .....so when using a G force clutch assisted transmission , what kind of clutch do you need to have..... is it a twin disc or a single.........?????