How Much For Heads?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I am going to buy heads for a 348. I am looking at regular performance pass. 59-61 heads. What can I expect for cost on a set of good take off heads. I am new to the W motors. I have always had small blocks. Thanks again. mike

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You can probably find a set of #379(250hp) heads for less than $200 even on Ebay but the shipping will cost another $40-50 each :eek: #333 truck heads are not a bad alternative either, I believe they flow better than 250 horse 348 heads in stock form although they will drop compression 1/2-3/4 point or so. They also have exhaust valve rotaters which will probably help valve seat life in a mild street engine. There are also 340 horse 409 heads but I think the cost will start to rise considerably at that point. Good Luck, NUT

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Nut how are you doing? I still am amazed you jumped in that 55 and drove to the convention, although the running gear was great, that blanket over the hole in the seat must have been torture. Anyway what is the going price for 340hp heads? :dunno Roy

M

Mr.Jimmy

Sell me yours first...lol

Jack Gibbs has been bidding them up bigtime on ebay up to 700 for a set of cores!!! Crazy I know!!

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Roy, I was wondering why my back and neck have been bothering me so much the last few months :doh :D Really it wasn't bad, Just the thrill of driving it after 20 years was enough to cover all the problems. The open glass packs under the floor boards were probably the most anoying! After I got home I found both rear wheel bearings were going out. The cage had broke in one and all the balls were piled up to one side. Guess someone was watching out for me as the only problem I had on the road was a clogged fuel screen that left one side of the carb dry. I fixed it with tools and carb cleaner I had with me. All that said, I'd do it again in a heart beat! :brow NUT

p.s. as for 340 hp heads, I haven't been watching them on Ebay, I figured they'd be pricey! Any thing that was on a car 409 is worth BIG $$$$

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Nut

i bet used 409 motor oil would get big bucks on e-bay! it only takes two guys with more money than brains to run prices up on ebay. makes it hard on the rest of us. but on the other hand it makes me think i might have a fortune in 409 parts. lets see, how many sets of 690-583 heads do i have????