How rare?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I don't know how rare, but I have a friend with a 63 SS 327/300 4spd with factory air.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It wasnt that uncommon down home.My dad had a 61 Bel Air wagon,and a 63 Impala wagon,both with factory air.I can think of a couple of others.

bobs409

Administrator
I would think semi common. Now finding ones with the all new for '63 vinyl top might prove difficult. :D

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fairly rare but was becoming more common in the early-mid sixties. As you go back each year, AC was very rare. 1962 seems to be a turning point for this option. 1960 and earlier is very rare, even very few Caddy's had AC back then.
I'm always amused how our tastes have changed over the years. I was never concerned with lack of AC when I drove around in my 1960 Impala, nor did the drum brakes and manual steering ever once concern me. Now, forget it!

bobs409

Administrator
They still don't concern me! :D

Out of 9 of my present vehicles, only 1 is a factory air car and it's never been hooked up since I've owned it. :D

I changed the 63 Impala, 66 Chevelle/409 and 71 C20 over to manual steering.

6 are drum brakes and only 5 are power.

I've never owned a car with power windows or power seats except a Buick bush buggy I bought long ago. I don't think they worked anyway! It only lasted me 3 days. :roll

I guess I like to know I'm driving a "real" car/truck.

lilbuzzy

Well Known Member
They still don't concern me! :D

Out of 9 of my present vehicles, only 1 is a factory air car and it's never been hooked up since I've owned it. :D

I changed the 63 Impala, 66 Chevelle/409 and 71 C20 over to manual steering.

6 are drum brakes and only 5 are power.

I've never owned a car with power windows or power seats except a Buick bush buggy I bought long ago. I don't think they worked anyway! It only lasted me 3 days. :roll

I guess I like to know I'm driving a "real" car/truck.

Letting your car abuse you and you still love it, sounds like highway masochism!:roll I mean, hot, bumpy, out of control.....just saying:cheers

ARKAR

My Dad bought a '63 Impala four door sedan with a 340hp 409 that had factory air. He used the engine in his '64 when his original 425hp 409 swallowed a valve and cracked the block. I still have his original block and hope to sleeve it to keep the numbers straight. I used the '63s frame for my other '64 SS car but I still have the complete '63 car, but it's taken apart. I have a four door '64 sedan also. I've thought about putting my SS body on it's frame and putting the '63 back together. But that's only after I finish my '64 SS and my Dad's '64 409 sport coupe. Not enough money!

Keith

65FO-OH-9

Air not rare...

Factory Air Conditioning was common in 1963. Not many Vettes had AIR then.
Those are rare!

I had a 409/340 with PG totally loaded with Fact. Air, Tilt, padded Dash PW, P. Seats,
bumper guards, tissue dispense, padded dash...etc...etc...

Wish I still had that car!

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Accourding to the Red Book there were 194,825 factory installed air conditioners in 1963. I don't think based on that it would be considered rare.

Bill

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Rare Air

I am sure Chevrolet sold over 2 Million cars in 63. That would make air in 10% or less of the cars.:dunno

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Bob, Mike from Long Island has a factory vinyl top on his '63 but I don't think it has factory AC.
:dunno:?

:crazy:cheers

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
All this about '63 impala's with a/c and vinyl tops reminds me of a happening back in '66. I was looking at a brown '63 Impala SS, 340 horse 409, PG, AC, saddle interior, tan vinyl top at the local Chevy dealer. Really sharp car. Snooze, you loose. Someone I knew bought the car. One night shortly after buying the car, he was doing a burnout out of the local hamburger joint, lost control of the car and crashed into another oncoming car. That car was a new Impala driven by the owner of the Chevy dealership:doh. Never saw that beautiful brown '63 again. BTW, nobody was injured. Leo

lilbuzzy

Well Known Member
And of those,,, 756,284 had factory 409`s !!!!!:cool::roll:crazy

you guys are starting to sound like the 427 435 horse corvette crowd! i remember reading where duntov went to a corvette gathering of l88's and could not believe that there were twice as many original, umolested cars as were produced! and all were documented.