how tight are dougs headers

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
i got engine out {327} 409 in. Had to put {dougs} headers in before engine went in all not tighten up but seems to be a very tight fit and no room for the engine to move without bending or crushing headers and also i have a 8 inch booster and useing lamars valve covers covers out at chrome shop but that also looks tight or made not fit my first 409 and just some concerns going in 62 impala:dunno:dunno

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gabe, I'm a little surprised. The Doug's tri-ys are easy in and easy out. A piece of cake compared to full length 4 tube headers. You are probably just not used to a " man sized motor ". :roll:roll As far as the booster...... Uh oh. Ain't no way with the Walden valve covers. There are threads describing off-set boosters that will help you. Good luck...

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gabe, I remember my old 58 with a 409/425 that the Dougs had to put passenger side in before engine and they were tight but never hit. They were not tri-y's though.

Ray

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
here are some pics i was thinking of raiseing engine a 1/4 with spacers i quess with the engine under tork its going to bang header :dunno:dunno:dunno

Attachments

• header hitting 004.jpg
    header hitting 004.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 80
  • header hitting 005.jpg
    header hitting 005.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 77
  • header hitting 007.jpg
    header hitting 007.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 74
  • header hitting 008.jpg
    header hitting 008.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 82

62OLDRELIABLE

Supporting Member 2
tight fit

Hi GC I have Balanger headers and they are really close to the drivers side front a arm bolt also .But at least the engine lifts the drivers side.I almost went with Doug's headers myself good luck with it.

Kevin