How To Correctly Stiffen Your '58-64 Chevy Frame For Better Handling

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
I've seen that before, called a "Wrap" or "Frame Wrap".

Common for the guys who have the crazy notion that making your cars front end deliberately bounce off the ground is a GOOD thing! :crazy

I think I will be doing a bit more, adding two outboard rails, and probably a full interior roll cage tied to the frame.
I've bought a trashed Jaguar 3.8S, just for the IRS and Disc Brake rear end.
There are modifications needed to fit it as well.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Better plan

Richard, I think you have a better plan. Regardless of what you do to the "X", torsional stiffness is still a problem.

A set of real perimeter frame rails would make a huge difference. I thought I saw a post or a car (where??? not sure) which had the perimeter rails actually replacing the rocker boxes completely. Any kind of cage would then be even more functional.

Until I started building a model recently, I didn't realize that the Pontiacs didn't share the X frame, but had a real perimeter frame??

Interesting. Also a lot of work!

dc

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
My neighbor is a metal fabricator, I can have anything I can pay for.

I could have a complete custom frame, but I think thats losing the original intent of my build.
I have a spare frame with damage, and an extra body that went through a fire.
I plan to experiment with them while developing my final design.

Once the final design is done, I wonder if others would be interested in a kit of similar frame upgrade parts? (Not including the Jag IRS) :dunno

I'm not sure how similar the later "X" frames are to the 59-60 cars.
Would the same braces fit all years? :dunno

I could have a complete custom frame, but I think thats losing the original intent of my build.
I have a spare frame with damage, and an extra body that went through a fire.
I plan to experiment with them while developing my final design.

Once the final design is done, I wonder if others would be interested in a kit of similar frame upgrade parts? (Not including the Jag IRS) :dunno

I'm not sure how similar the later "X" frames are to the 59-60 cars.
Would the same braces fit all years? :dunno

Rick, the basic tubular (backbone) X Frame concept is the same from 1958-1964. The 1958 Chevy frame is unique. 1959-1960 are identical, and 1961-1964 are identical.

Eric S. Huffstutler
Richmond, VA

Richard, I think you have a better plan. Regardless of what you do to the "X", torsional stiffness is still a problem.

A set of real perimeter frame rails would make a huge difference. I thought I saw a post or a car (where??? not sure) which had the perimeter rails actually replacing the rocker boxes completely. Any kind of cage would then be even more functional.

Until I started building a model recently, I didn't realize that the Pontiacs didn't share the X frame, but had a real perimeter frame??

dc

I mentioned to Rick in another thread I am participating in about the History of The Original X Frame, that the 1959-60 Oldsmobile frame is basically a tubular center X like the Chevy but with added perimeter side rails. This was unique to Oldsmobile and just those two years. Earlier years used a standard cantilever X with side rails. The '59-'60 Olds should give you some ideas about strengthening.

I provided image links in a post on that thread.

Eric S. Huffstutler
Richmond, VA

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I noticed that they are modifying the welded double channel type frame. They are open channel in the back. There is also a factory Box type frame that is formed from square tubing instead of channels. It doesn't have all the welds that hold the channels together and the rear section is boxed.

I don't know which frame is stiffer but the boxed one is smoother. I changed my frame to the boxed, as having two frames allowed me to finish the frame before I took my car apart.

The frames are all the basic same but subtle differences. I think there are three styles 58, 59&60, 61-64. Boxed and channel available in all years.

Anyone know why some cars had boxed and some welded channels?:?

Some Canadian Pontiacs had the x frame as well.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am not sure but

:? Was the box chassis come out of a california? I know from the old days looking for west coast 55 thru 57 frames for race cars the west coast frames were boxed.

rocketmac

Supporting Member 1
Was this the frame your talkin about
http://www.superchevy.com/features/pre1977full/0405sc_1962_chevy_impala/photo_08.html

dc

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:? Was the box chassis come out of a california? I know from the old days looking for west coast 55 thru 57 frames for race cars the west coast frames were boxed.

From the resarch I have done on the one piece 61-64 box frames, I found that they generally came with post cars from any plant. All Impalas, convertibles and wagons have had the 2 piece frames in my research.

I think the 2 piece frames had a better comfort ride in comparison to the one piece box frame due to the flexing ability in the 2 piece frame....????

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

dc

Dave- Is this the post you were thinking about??

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14473

Tell me there are not similarities with this (minus the backbone) and the 1959-60 Oldsmobile that had both the tubular X and siderails:

0507sc_10z+1962_chevrolet_impala+frame_view.jpg

main.php

Eric

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Hmmm, I might know where to get a '59 Olds.

I might know where to get a '59 Olds four door.

It was for sale, not sure if it is still there.

Not sure what they wanted for it either, no one was home when I looked at it.

Perhaps an easier route for what I want? :scratch

Or too much difference to pursue?

Splice the perimeter to my X frame?

I know some people are looking for the rear end's from them, some one would want the front clip and glass, etc.

I really need to find where I left that wheel-barrow full of money!

Of course I am not saying that the frame will be an exact swap between cars... just gives you an idea and if you can find one cheap, may be able to alter the frame to fit? The oldsmobile frame also uses the rear leaf spring setup instad of coil spring and arms.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I thin Pontiac had one maybe 2 years of X frames. I think the 62 Catalina had one. One of the NSS guys I know has a X frame in his Catalina.

kerrbss

Common for the guys who have the crazy notion that making your cars front end deliberately bounce off the ground is a GOOD thing! :crazy

I think I will be doing a bit more, adding two outboard rails, and probably a full interior roll cage tied to the frame.
I've bought a trashed Jaguar 3.8S, just for the IRS and Disc Brake rear end.
There are modifications needed to fit it as well.

:D my buddies 64

29bdg6h.jpg

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
WOW, that looks really safe!

I thought a remote control cable was normal for that type of insanity? :scratch

Is he really pushing a button on the dash and holding the door while 4,000 pounds of steel jumps four feet in the air, then slams back down? :eek::nono1::crazy:crazy:crazy:crazy

I thin Pontiac had one maybe 2 years of X frames. I think the 62 Catalina had one. One of the NSS guys I know has a X frame in his Catalina.

Actually, it had the tubular center X for 3-years. The 1958 model is unique while 1959-60 are the same. But it has an unusual outrigging for rear suspension they named Quatra Poise Suspension in 58 and Gyro Level Ride on 59-60. It is only on Pontiac. Probably to help stabalize the car for its extra wide stance? None have the outer rails like Oldsmobile.