How to tell if this '62 is an original 409 car?

HotRod28AR

Hey guys, looking at a '62 Impala (non-SS) that a buddy if mine has, but how can you tell if the car was an original 409 to start with? The engine in it now breaks down to be a '63/'64 340hp 409 (#T0423QC). The car vin says its a '62 V8 Impala sport coupe, but supposedly the car is a original 409 equipped car. Any deffinitive way to tell? We couldn't find the factory build sheet hidden in the interior... Thanks,
-Dean

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You've got to look for a bunch of little things. First, all 409 cars in 62 came with standard transmissions. Then most of them would have had a factory tach. I think the tach came with the 4 speeds but was an option if you got a three speed.:scratch Anyway, if the tach is gone you can look for 4 holes in the drivers side inner fender just above the "A" arm. Also look for two hoes in the steering column ring below the turn signal ring. The 409's and 300hp 327's had a 3/8" fuel line that was routed under the passengers side A arm. (smaller engines got a 5/16" line) Also the 409 fan shroud is about 1 1/2" shorter than the small block shroud. There's a few other things too that maybe others will add, but that should get you started. Good Luck.:beerbang

No409

Supporting Member 1
if its in Northeast Ct, ide be happy to go look at it for you, and help decipher if its a legit 409 car

HotRod28AR

Thanks for the info guys. I've only seen the car once and know it has a 3/8" fuel line but I didn't know to check if it was routed the correct way or anything, and I saw the two small tach holes on the column. It had a very big radiator, and the shroud was still there. How big should a 409 shroud be? Anything special about 409 brakes or rear ends? He also said something about the car having 2 torsion arms in the rear suspension rather than 1? Thanks again,
-Dean

Astro409

Well Known Member
I have always thought that unless you want it to be a trailer queen collector's car, enjoy it if the price is in your budget.:dunno Its not like it is going to run any better or worst if it started its life as a 409 car. It should run and look just as good if the transplant was done properly. You can't CLONE a 409 motor unless you go through all the trouble of disguising a 348.:doh Just the fact that you have a REAL 409 in an Impala is something to feel proud of.;)