Hurricane fan

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
This has nothing to do with 409/s. Don't hang up. I have a 1990 Chevy 1500 p/u with a stock 350. Runs great, the problem is the clutch fan. It never seams to shut down.
Sounds like hurricane winds. Years ago I had a 88 GMC astro van that sounded the same way. My 96 S-10 does the same thing , but as soon as you get going it releases and quiets right down. My question is are they all the same, maybe a new clutch, different type, electric?
Thanks . Gordie

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This has nothing to do with 409/s. Don't hang up. I have a 1990 Chevy 1500 p/u with a stock 350. Runs great, the problem is the clutch fan. It never seams to shut down.
Sounds like hurricane winds. Years ago I had a 88 GMC astro van that sounded the same way. My 96 S-10 does the same thing , but as soon as you get going it releases and quiets right down. My question is are they all the same, maybe a new clutch, different type, electric?
Thanks . Gordie
I have a 1990 silverado also,thought i was the only one that had one that longest with 130,000. Any how does it roar engine cold? Might be telling you something? As mentioned they usually start free wheeling when giving up .

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I worked for a company in 1988. They bought 2 brand new Astro vans with V-6's. They both had the same fan roar from new.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have had a couple over the years that locked up and stayed engaged. I assumed there was a bearing or something internal that wore out and locked them up.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
They sense the temperature of the air coming through the radiator, you can watch your temp gauge while driving. The fan begins to roar when the temp goes up until it cools down then the clutch releases and no more fan roar until the temp goes back up. This is real noticable if you are pulling a trailer in the summer and yes when they go bad they usally don't lock up and just freewheel.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Ok, well I finally got around to putting a new clutch fan in the truck. I noticed the old one was much harder to turn than the new. Figuring I had the problem handled, I installed it . Just about as noisy as the the old one. The way I figure it , there's three options , sell it, put electric fans on it, or just wait a few years till my hearings gone. :dunno2

Attachments

• DSCN0964 (1).JPG
    DSCN0964 (1).JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 6