Hurricane Irene

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
At the county EOC meeting yesterday learned the eye could pass over us. Wow hope not but am prepared as best can in my low area. It will also go over MacKenzie and the Jersey and Long Island areas of our members.
Robert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:prayHere's wishing the best for the safety of all our friends that could be affected by this storm.It looks like it could be BAD ,espec for the New York area.Please be safe folks.:pray

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep,Robert it doesn't look to good for the guys near the coast.My buddy Gary who lives in Rehobeth Beach with his wife pulled out yesterday.Went to stay with his son in Alexandria Va. In Bel Air area they are calling for 50-70 mph winds,extremely heavy rain(6-13") and really bad conditions,possibly losing electric and major flooding.I took the day off (Friday)to get my generator out ,fuel up and securing down all the loose stuff around the house,fueling up my Yukon and the wifes car,then going down to the Dundalk area and do the same with my Mom's old house.I'm really concerned over that house and area.The house is an old one and has no sub pump area,its low lying ground about 3/8 mile from the water.All I can hope that its high enough to not get water into the basement..My heart goes out to all the people on the East coast from North Carolina up the coast thru New York and the to New England area. Robert be safe down there,pray there's no surge or that the water is not pushed up the bay.John:pray:pray

bobs409

Administrator
Be sure to bring in last years plastic Santa as our weatherman said this morning. :laugh

I hope things don't get too crazy where I am. I'm not on the coast anyway.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob: yeah the plastic Santa is in as well as the plastic candles and plastic chairs from last year!! Got the 61 in the car trailer to weight it down, the boat has all the canvas off, is up and all plugs out, smaller trailer is in the ditch out front to keep it from winding up in the cow pasture. Speaking of the cows they are pretty smart and have been laying low in the trees today as if the farmer has told them something is coming tomorrow. I am ready to transfer the car trailer batteries(group 27) to back up the alarm system back up batteries for extending alarm alert status at both houses when we have extended current loss.
Bob one of the shocks I learned during the afternoon briefing is that the State of Md has transfered a 45 man "swat" team about 50 miles from here with armed command centers. :) :) What the heck is going on with this area of the country, Phil ain't here is he!
robert

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, you got things under control it sounds. And smart cows too! :D

Let's hope we can all laugh about this after tomorrow. Crazy weather...

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Im ready as I will be ,I hope everyone will be ok . My car is in the garage and I just hope my neigbors tree dosnt fall on it!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob: yeah the plastic Santa is in as well as the plastic candles and plastic chairs from last year!! Got the 61 in the car trailer to weight it down, the boat has all the canvas off, is up and all plugs out, smaller trailer is in the ditch out front to keep it from winding up in the cow pasture. Speaking of the cows they are pretty smart and have been laying low in the trees today as if the farmer has told them something is coming tomorrow. I am ready to transfer the car trailer batteries(group 27) to back up the alarm system back up batteries for extending alarm alert status at both houses when we have extended current loss.
Bob one of the shocks I learned during the afternoon briefing is that the State of Md has transfered a 45 man "swat" team about 50 miles from here with armed command centers. :) :) What the heck is going on with this area of the country, Phil ain't here is he!
robert
You might want to get the cows some flotation gear. I don't think the wind will be your problem.........the water will be your problem. What are you, about 10 ft above sea level there?

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Be safe to all members and members families in it's path!

I am only one block from the borderline of a mandatory evacuation.
Generator is setup and ready to go as well as my pumps.

Be safe!

Mike

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your plastic Santa and or candles blow to my house - There MINE :brow LOL

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
You might want to get the cows some flotation gear. I don't think the wind will be your problem.........the water will be your problem. What are you, about 10 ft above sea level there?

Cecil
Several years ago I ran an elevation from the BM on the "main" county road and came up with something like 8.2. Last year the county participated in a LIDAR survey and that BM we use in this peninsula was off and I am close to 6.8 or so. I have noticed in recent years flooding between me and the river and me and the main road. I think those are in an ancient stream bed as those two areas are noticeably lower.
Yeah it has been raining hard for awhile and the southern end of the county is experiencing power problems. The pool is over full but we still have power but I expect to lose it late this evening.
Cecil they told me at the EOC meeting they were going to fly a hunter into the storm later. Were you on that one as I think those Hunter's are beefed up 130's
Robert

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The Air Force weather recon uses C-130's and they go in at altitude, usually at least 10.000 ft.
We always went in on the deck. I rode a typhoon penetration one time out of Okinawa with the Navy in an EC-121 (Connie) at 200 ft at night.
The NOAA airplanes out of Tampa, I think, are ex Navy P-3's. I think they go in at about 10,ooo also.
I hope you have some high ground nearby. The surge is what gets you.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
200 feet at night.... I can't imagine what that was like. You are right the surge is what gets us. Surge on this one was projected 4 to 5 feet which is quite a bit lower than ocean side because the bay buffers it quite a bit. The surge isn't here yet and should be say 9:00 to 12:00 tonight. No I ain't walking down to the river bank to take time photos for you although on this one they are predicting a hanging surge on bayside so it will stay up for awhile for some meteorological reason.
Robert

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yahoo News - Live Updates said:
Hurricane Irene makes slow march across the Eastern Seaboard

10 p.m. EDT – The center is about 85 miles SSW of Ocean City, Md, but the storm's 500-mile wingspan covers much of the mid-Atlantic. More than 1 million homes are without power. Eight people have reportedly been killed.

In northern Delaware The wind is fairly quiet at 10:30 PM but rain is still falling in waves. There is a tornado warning until 12:00AM. Philadelphia TV stations are currently reporting tornadoes on the ground in south Jersey.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Lynette and I wish all of you that are affected by this event all the best. Hope to see you all back on here safe and well soon. Hang tight
Steve

bobs409

Administrator
Doing ok here in PA. Lost power from 4 AM-8 AM but no severe weather. A steady rain and a few mild wind gusts. I guess it should be moving out of here soon enough.