Hybrid Hot Rods

ss409cid

Well Known Member
I guess one good thing about getting older is that I have less future to look forward to, and more past to enjoy reminising about. A real plus when it comes to the future & past of Hot Rodding.......Larry

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am with you, it is nice to be able to remember when cars were fun. Of course I was born in 1939 and the population of the USA was 139,000,000. I believe it is nearing 300,000,000 now. My wife's car, I can only change plugs and oil. At least with my pickup I can do a little although I can't do anything with the computor or fuel injection. Do you think that we can hotrod these new hybrids? :help I don't I have enough knowledge. Roy

bobs409

Administrator
If that's all I had to work with, I'd take up stamp collecting instead! :D

That stuff is just a waste of time and money. After seeing the ridiculous ricer trend, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hybrids catch on and who knows what else!

No409

Supporting Member 1
i dont know what is so appealing about the imports. everyone around loves them, and they are the choise of most guys my age( 26). **** that, ill stick with good old *** kicking GM rear wheel drive. only thing good with newer cars is the engine technology. my 87 buick runs mid 11`s@119, pulls the front wheels on DOT tires, and gets 20mpg with a/c on. its fun, but its not fun like powershifting my 427 55 chevy.

JokersBel

Banned
I wonder if we'd complain too much if history were reversed...

Case in point, no power companies to tap into for power. (Wattage) We'd make our own little gas-powered generators and probably see who could make the most powerful one at that.

Instead, we design alternative cars with Wattage at the heart of the concept. Two of the most relied-on, taken-for-granted sources today - the car and electricity.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Alternative fuels

At least they are getting away from electric cars. Can you imagine the power needed to recharge all those batteries every night. You think we have power shortages now, WOW. And every garage filled with hydrogen gas from charging all those batteries. Where would we get the electric to do this. California is short on power in the summer now. Add that load, nad you have chaos.
While out in California, I saw a 2005 Chevrolet 1500 truck with the 5.3 and under the rear seat of the extended cab, was all batteries. It is a hybrid truck. Think it was showing 18 MPG city, and 23 HWY. Not positive on those numbers, but it wasn't a big jump. Wasn't that expensive, either. Was loaded with options at 33K. I didn't even know they were doing hybrids. Was at Selman Chev in Anaheim. Didn't look to see what type batteries they were, but they are inside the cab. Not what I think I would like to see. I've seen them blow a few times. Not a pretty picture. They might be some kind of different battery, though. This hybrid thing is going to grow. Watch it.

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred, On the ads for that truck they show the AC outlets that can run power tools and lights !!

Just drive it to the job site and plug in your tools !!

Ya know what ? Theres a buyer and sucker born every day,,,

How about a $147 Audio Grade outlet Socket !!!,,,dq Buy it here

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
socket

Does the house come with the socket at that price????????????????? Should!

bobs409

Administrator
What about pollution from all those batteries later on? I expect they may be able to recycle part of them but isn't there some waste such as the acid in them? Not to mention all the ones that will end up not being disposed of properly such as thrown in the trash or buried somewhere. The more batteries out there, the bigger the potential for this.

I wonder if the tree huggers thought about that one?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hybrid- Hotrod ???

Military-Intelligence ?????

Honest-Politician ??????

Get my point !!!!!

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Happy New Year to all.

As a certified gear head that works in the environmental remediation industry with a co-worker that drives a Prius, I have had some opportunity to check this type of vehicle out. It is responive and quick off the line, it is eerily quiet, with absolutely impressive technology.

It is very low maintenance with almost no owner (do it yourself) servicability, and while the expected useful life of the power train is very long (several hundred thousand miles) the cost of rebuilding or replacement is anticipated to exceed 30 to 50% of the original purchase price.

Additionally as Bob pointed out ultimately there is the issue of disposal of the batteries.

One more step towards a vehicle that must be replaced rather than rebuilt or restored and that cannot be owner or even industry modified.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is why the cars of yesterday are going up in value. We are getting closer to throw away cars. We won't care what they look like and we will drive them till they quit. I think that we will be the worse off for it because we are losing a form of art. We will have to be ever vigilant that the right to drive our works of art is not taken away from us. :cry Roy

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
art form

The sad part is that we have only ourself to blame for it. We , as a society, are moving to fast. We need to travel at light speed and get there yesterday. We buy cars because they get good gas mileage and there reliable. I don't think anybody buys a car today because of style. Maybe things will turn around sometime in the near future. Look what Ford is doing with the Mustang. Big HP and some classic looks. Now, if we can get the other two manufactures to follow. Send your cards and letters to Detroit. :takethat

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
tripowerguy said:
We are getting closer to throw away cars.
I think we have been there for several years. My son bought a 91 Cavalier a couple years ago. I drove it once and would like to have thrown it away right then.:brow Yesterday when he tried to start it to go home, it wouldn't even crank over and it was only 10 below. Now he has my 99 Silverado and I have this***** "car" in my driveway.

But... I also have a 4 wheel drive tractor with 12 foot dozer... hee, hee...:takethat OK, OK, I'll quit thinking that way.
Ron

Va348

Supporting Member 1
My 61 is the only hybird I would have!

61 2 dr Ht 409 Cu in Ls1 alu, 200-R trans, AC, ps, 4 wh disc, ex tuck were you can not see it. Lower 2 in going to be so quiet will not here nothing But George Jones on CD.

Some will ask about Ls1 , it's 4 in stroke 4.035 Bore.

Dale

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jester said:
Look what Ford is doing with the Mustang. Big HP and some classic looks. Now, if we can get the other two manufactures to follow. Send your cards and letters to Detroit. :takethat

In Todays Paper :

"Big Three Over Taken By Imports !!"
Toyota , Honda and Nissan now out sell GM,,, Fo*d,, and Chrysler !!!

NO S**T !!??
This is a first year but not the last if Detroit does not get their sh*t together !!
,,,dq

1982 Datsun B-250 Turbo
1972 Toyota Celica, Blown R-20
1962 VW, Camper Van
2002 MitshioytaHonDaru