Hydraulic Cam Recommendations

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Would like some hydraulic cam spec's recommendations that you feel would be the best for my 409. I need to replace my timing chain & gear set as it's going bad. I have two reasons for changing the cam.

1) Not sure on the over-all condition of it as I lost a valve & lifter on # 8 once, which I had the heads repaired for about 2 years ago. Engine ran fine before the timing problem.

NOTE THE MAIN REASON FOR THE CHANGE BESIDES THE TIMING PROBLEM BELOW.

2) I have a very hard time adjusting solid lifters because of a Viet Nam war injury (one bad hand).

My engine & drivetrain specs.

1964 QB engine code on engine pad.
2-4 intake #3814881 with 2 Edelbrock 500 carburetors.
heads are #3852583.
MSD 409 distributor.
Exhaust Manifolds are #3822924 & 925

Trans is 700R-4 with 2300 stall converter or their abouts. Can not remember what the trans shop said, but do remember he said something in the order of 2000 plus.
Differential is a 4:10 positraction as just had it looked over.

How about some ideas for me to think about. This is mainly for a driver on the street. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave , What type rockers are you using? The reason I ask is that if I had to do it over again, I would have bought solid lifter cam. The roller rockers make noise anyway, why not use solids? As far as setting valve lash, things have changed since the poly-locks came along. The doggone things just wont loosen up. Another reason is the lousy hydraulic lifters on the market. No matter what brand you buy, can you really be sure you are getting quality? Exception would be Rhodes. If you are using stamped steel rockers, then I understand your desire for hydraulic lifters.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
cams

Dave, regarding solid lifters, if you use roller rocker arms, you hardly ever have to adjust the clearance. Unless you put a lot of miles on your car, you should be able to go several years without adjusting the lifters. The old style rocker arms would wear, and fairly fast, requiring adjusting several times a year. I went 5 years without adjusting roller rockers, and they really didn't need it then. They just don't wear. And, solid lifters sound so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll tell you what, You get solid lifters and there are enough of us on here to adjust them any time you want. That's the least we can do for you for what you did for us. That's a promise.

I see Ronnie Russell has replied, and said about the same thing I said. He types faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll :roll :roll :dunno

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A little lumpy at 750 idle

Good cam specs for street solid roller,,,,,230/240 duration at .050 with 110 lobe separation installed at 106 dg center line and .530 lift. Will work well with 700 R4 and 4.11s. cruises well above 2500 rpm. 10 " vacuum at idle!

chevykid

Dave,

The technology of cams today is light years ahead of the old solid and hydraulic grinds we used to use. Oil today is also not compatible with solid grinds unless you use additves or a diesel type oil like rotella. I just recently upgraded my 427 L-72 to a hydraulic roller with full roller rockers arms. I had been running an L-88 cam in the motor since 1969 and it finally went south. I actually bought a cam that's bigger than the L-88 but everything about it better and I will never adjust those valves again. It was expensive but worth every penny. Over the winter I'm going to do the same thing with my 409.

Good luck
Chevy