I cant't STOP!! Help!

65FO-OH-9

This is a '65 Impala with Manual Brakes...

Today, a couple hours ago, the brake pedal started to get very hard to push and wasn't stopping the car very well. Eventually it got to the point that I had to put the car into neutral when coming to a light and literally stand with both feet on the brakes to get the car to stop. Sitting at the light I had to keep it in neutral because if I wasn't standing on the brake pedal and only holding it with one foot with moderate pressure the car would still move if in gear. I

I looked at the brake MC reservoir and it has plenty of fluid. Nothings appears to be leaking from any of the wheel cylinders. Master Cylinder is about 15 years old...

Any Ideas on where to start?
Thanx! :beerbang

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Does a '65 master cylinder have seperate reservoirs for the front and back,
or is it a single system like a stock '61? I am wondering about a blockage in the
main brake line coming off the master cylinder...maybe a piece of the foil seal
from a can of brake fluid or something of the sort??
I think I would start by disconnecting the main line at the first tee below the master to see if there is fluid flow, and go from there.
Danny

65FO-OH-9

I can't stop...

Does a '65 master cylinder have seperate reservoirs for the front and back,
or is it a single system like a stock '61? I am wondering about a blockage in the
main brake line coming off the master cylinder...maybe a piece of the foil seal
from a can of brake fluid or something of the sort??
I think I would start by disconnecting the main line at the first tee below the master to see if there is fluid flow, and go from there.
Danny

This is just a single master cylinder. I took a Turkey baster & got all old fluid out of it
- no foil - or anything else I could find...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eek: No brakes:scratch this sounds like a master cyl f-up to me,and it sounds like it's time to go with the 66 and later dual systerm for both you and your cars sake:deal:cheers

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is a '65 Impala with Manual Brakes...

Today, a couple hours ago, the brake pedal started to get very hard to push and wasn't stopping the car very well. Eventually it got to the point that I had to put the car into neutral when coming to a light and literally stand with both feet on the brakes to get the car to stop. Sitting at the light I had to keep it in neutral because if I wasn't standing on the brake pedal and only holding it with one foot with moderate pressure the car would still move if in gear. I

I looked at the brake MC reservoir and it has plenty of fluid. Nothings appears to be leaking from any of the wheel cylinders. Master Cylinder is about 15 years old...

Any Ideas on where to start?
Thanx! :beerbang

So your brakes are working but the car seems to want to keep going? Sounds to me like the torque converter. I've had one come apart inside and lock up. It will become a direct drive link. :eek:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Had this happen on my 64 Impala, one day. In my case, it was the front wheel cylinders. They were so tight, I could barely get the drums off.:eek:

65FO-OH-9

Thanks.

Thanks for th info guys. Last night after I drove it - I noticed RR brake line was very hot. Wondering if Wheel Cylinder is locked up & causing my Brake fluid to boil ? I bled brakes from LR to RR & then front again RF to LF. Still doing same thing. Pulled
tires, drums off & had my wife work the brake pedal. No visable leaks & I could see
everything working. Readjusted them all. Put everything back together & I'm still having the same problem...

I may pull the LR & RR wheel cylinders off & hone it, rebuild them this weekend. Don't
think a New Master cylinder would cure the Hard brake pedal problem...

Again Thanks for all the imput...:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:grumble:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Mark....call a transmission shop and see f they go along with 348stroker's problem about a broken converter. Sounds plausible to me.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Torq convertor or master cyl,,,, either way I would do an up-grade to better brakes!!!
Disc`s up front and a power booster with a dual system,,,,

My thoughts,,,
If the engine or mechanical problems happen,,,,you pull to the side of the road and stop,,

If you loose your brakes or they fade,,, YOU ARE DEAD !!!:pray

I rather have a bad running car with GOOD brakes then the other way around,,,:bang

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
find a very small grade and let the car roll down......... if it will stop with the transmission in neutral then you will know it's a brake problem.

Dave

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eek:The reason I doubt the convertor is that you said you had to stand with BOTH feet on the brakes,with the trans in neutral:bang A sticking wheel cyl,causing a brake fluid boil condition,will result in a SOFT pedal.It is either a master cyl,or bad brake line causing a restriction in fluid flow.Check any and all rubber brake lines,as I've had them cause problems from failing inside.As DQ said,UPGRADE these brakes be fore they kill you and the car.In my opinion,the only reason to keep these brakes stock would be a 100 point "resto",all others should be upgraded:deal

65FO-OH-9

Thanks.

Thanks for the info guys - The trans has been acting goofy lately. Next time - I'll test it in Neutral & see what happens.

I want to Thank You all for your input. I will let you know what happens!

-Mark.:cheers