I did it again!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've really been trying hard not to buy more stuff but just couldn't resist. I have to go pick it up Tuesday and need some help trying to figure out what to tell the wif".:dunno
Maybe good a place to stuff one of my 409's? (no smart remarks about where else I should stuff them):rolleyes:
It has the original 283 powerpack engine and powerglide. Doors are missing but I just happen to have some. As with all my projects, just needs minor work.:roll

Attachments

• 3kb3o93p512a14913c91344a955f35f29185a.jpg
    3kb3o93p512a14913c91344a955f35f29185a.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 139

bobs409

Administrator
I'll trade you a 68 Malibu 4 door for it. :D

Always wanted a 57, never could afford one or even find one!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice purchase!

Cecil:

You've done well. If you are lucky like me, she won't notice the new acquisition among all the other stuff :). I generally go with the "silent approach" then beg for forgiveness after discovery...

Last week someone was over for a social and was asking about my vehicles. My wife pleaded with me not to take him down the basement, she's soooo embarassed with all that "junk" :).

After he spent some time downstairs, upon return he began to tell Barb about all the cool and rare parts, etc. She didn't listen at all. But she did say "All those cars and he doesn't even have a convertible" to which I replied "Is that a Green Light?" to which she responded an emphatic "No!"

Little did she know there's already one in the barn, she just never goes out there....

Cheers, and good luck with the new project!

TomK

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Nice find Cecil!

those cars back here in Ohio will fetch good money. WIFEY-- when Bonnie and i started dating back in the day she had a new Corvette (a blonde in a Corvette caught my eye right away) she use to run the wheels off of it. i think she is as much a gearhead as i am. when i started buying up old cars around her she always was excited about each one i bought. the last two i draged home she didn't say anything. i think it's time not to buy anymore if i still want to call this place home!!!

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Cecil, I'm glad you evidently got out of Turlock without any major acquisitions...I apologize for not having time to be more sociable, I would have liked to showed you a few of my projects, etc.

The weather didn't cooperate on Friday, and I pretty much sprinted the whole place Saturday afternoon. Struck out on 348/409 stuff, although I noticed that truck engine on the flatbed finally left with somebody; I never checked the block number, just assumed it was a 655 because of the distributor and water pump.

I guess one of the Caddies in the car section caught fire and burnt to the ground Saturday night, pretty well blistered the cars next to it, too. Ugh.

Next time, let's plan for some BS time, and good luck with the 57!

dave

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice going Cecil:beerbang I'm on the same page with TomK I don't lie to her I just leave out some details. And bring it home while she's out (have a car cover ready to go) when It gets disscovered I'm like "Oh I've had that for a while HONEY don't you remember?":brow and then because she's not stupid comes the begging for forgiveness:takethatOpps:D

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Cecil, I got one of those '57's that I had to buy for a parts car for my 409 '57. When you build a "C GAS" race car in 1968 you tend to throw everything away that even looks heavy.I got a lot of very necessary parts for my street '57/ 409 build that I threw away long ago. Who knew? I am lucky in that my lady loves cars as much as I do. " WE ENGINE " can vouch for that. Have your lady call my lady if she gives you any guff.:bow:bow:grumble:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, I'm glad you evidently got out of Turlock without any major acquisitions...I apologize for not having time to be more sociable, I would have liked to showed you a few of my projects, etc.

The weather didn't cooperate on Friday, and I pretty much sprinted the whole place Saturday afternoon. Struck out on 348/409 stuff, although I noticed that truck engine on the flatbed finally left with somebody; I never checked the block number, just assumed it was a 655 because of the distributor and water pump.

I guess one of the Caddies in the car section caught fire and burnt to the ground Saturday night, pretty well blistered the cars next to it, too. Ugh.

Next time, let's plan for some BS time, and good luck with the 57!

dave

Dave,
I would like to have seen your projects, but I was beat Sat. after walking constantly for about 8 hours. I just can't do these big swapmeets like I used to.
Got up early Sun. and drove 11 hours straight through to get home.
BTW, the 348 you mentioned was an 011 block with a 59 date.
Maybe next year.:cool:

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I have to go pick it up Tuesday and need some help trying to figure out what to tell the wife.:dunno

1. Honey, it followed me home.

2. I already have the parts to finish it up.

3. Somebody's wife made him sell it, can you believe it?

:roll

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I went to Tucson to pick up the 57 Tuesday and came home with an empty trailer. The car is restorable, but will need new floor and rockers. I was OK until the guy showed me the VIN tag which was off the car and had been DRILLED through the spotwelds to remove it. I backed out due to too many projects all dissassembled now and an aversion to legal issues with the DMV. It is definetly worth the price but I don't need it right now.
Actually, my cover was blown when the guy called yesterday AM and the wife answered the phone while I was in the shower. She said "The guy in Tucson called and asked if you are coming to pick up the car...what car? did you buy another car?":eek:Busted
Anyway, it's still avaiable if anybody is interested.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/979387486.html