I hope this is not sacrelige

wally409

Well Known Member
A friend of mine is giving me a 1984 Impala sedan with a 305. The engine runs like clockwork (120K miles) but the car is shot. My plans are to install the engine in my 86 S-15 4x4 parts hauler. I've had 327's and a couple of 350's in the past and most of the car guys here tell me not to waste my time (and money) on trying to do any modifications to the engine because they are dogs.:eyebrow An friend of mine who is an old GM retired salesman said that he remembers they had about 150-factory HP. I'd like to be able to pull a small 14 or 15 foot trailer with my truck so I'd need a bit more power. If you have had any experience with these engines and can provide me with any low buck tips to improve performance, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Wally

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Probably 25 years ago my buddy put a 300 horse cam in a stock 305 with a 4 barrell quadrajet. Ran real good. I believe he even used the same valve springs, but not completely sure. I think he got about 20 mpg in a Nova.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The 305s in 1984 were pretty lame. If you spin them in the 3000 rpm range they have some power. For pulling a trailer or running in overdrive they are under powered in my book.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
nothing wrong with a 305 if that's what you got. 300 hp is easy. i built a few. my first was a 76 Monte Carlo.

It'll pull small loads fine. I've pulled a 60 belair with a 4 cyl Ranger and a 65 Impala with a v6 Ranger (no engines). You just need a good trailer. The size of the thruck should be the bigger concern. Gotta control the load.

Just like anything bigger is better to most people. The further you tow or the bigger the load....the bigger the truck / engine.