i just bought a 348......

111goose

I recently bought a 348. Included was a 3x2 intake and carb setup and a 4 bbl intake and carb. The motor was partially disassembled so I tore the rest down so I can have the motor redone. I found a 409 crank at Carlisle yesterday(and bought it). I want to use a Thumpr series cam but am looking for some input on compatibility. I've never built a motor before and I'm not loaded but I want to put something together that will '**** and get'. I'll be dropping this motor in a rat rod '41 Chevy Coupe. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what other brands or size parts I should be looking for?
Thanks for the help...

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site!:beerbang
The 348 block with a 409 crank works great. The first thing you'll need to figure out is what pistons and rods to use.
Most guys go with forged pistons and big block Chevy rods. Some guys have had great results with the Thumper cams but you'll need to be sure to get pistons with deep enough valve reliefs. A compression ratio of about 10 to 1 seems to be the most popular.
If you could post the casting numbers from your heads I'm sure you'll get some suggestions about what valves and springs to use.