i looked everywere

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,i have looked in my books, here, and everywere. what is the towing and hauling wt. for a 59-348 elcamino? thanks mike

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
hauling

Haul what ever you wish until the drive shaft begins rubbing on the back part of the X frame, voice of experance!!!:crazy

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
I recall hauling to be 800 lb., towing should be about the same as

a wagon?

I've towed quite bit with El Camino's, the real limit for early models is the drum brakes.

If you have upgraded the brakes, your tow limit should go up a bit too.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,,yes i put disc up front. what i'm looking to haul is a 52 harley panhead about 500 lbs. and tow a teardrop camper trailer wt. 2000-2500 lbs. i hope it will do this. thanks mike

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm sure the elcamino will handle that without an issue. Your only problem may be your rear springs. With the Harley + hitch weight of probably 200 lbs she might sit down on you..... you'll just have to give it a try.
An equalizer hitch would lift it back up..... or a set of air shocks.

Dave

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I'm sure the elcamino will handle that without an issue. Your only problem may be your rear springs. With the Harley + hitch weight of probably 200 lbs she might sit down on you..... you'll just have to give it a try.
An equalizer hitch would lift it back up..... or a set of air shocks.

Dave

Air shock add load to the shock mounting points, I think the X frame shock mounts are up to the task but maybe air bags could be an option?

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If the load is to much, if it was mine I'd leave the suspension alone and install an Equalizer hitch...... they work great at making everything level again plus it will handle a lot better and be nicer to drive.

Dave

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,,thanks all,first the bags to dam much $,,the air shocks i was thinking about but did not think about the mounts. so it looks like the hitch wins.
thanks for the help..mike