I must be CRAZY!

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Cant afford the project I got and I pick up another one. You know the deal, Price was Right! 71 chevy truck cab. Was chopped 4"s in the 80's. came with the front clip. So then I had to get a frame, Right? found a long bed rolling chassis disk brake set up with a set of 8: ralleys. Not bad but I needed a bed, I mean come on. But wait here is the twist this thing is going to be LOW. Just happen to be a set of bed sides on craigslist for 40 bucks. Now I wont have to cut up a good bed. I didnt need this but what the hell. Im a short guy so the plan is to have a full size truck shorter than me. Very LOW. The dam chop top started it all. How low is possible? My goal is the body itself needs to be 4"s off the ground.Started to channel the cab already to sit around the frame. Have my I on a 5" drop kit for the suspension. Might not even paint it. My goal is that it make old ladies nervous and scares kids a little when at a stop light. Just a little. and shorter than me but that part shouldn't be a problem. Ill throw in a couple pics.

Attachments

• 71 chop 7.jpg
    71 chop 7.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 71 chop 8.jpg
    71 chop 8.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 67

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Couple more from the start of the slice and dice game. This thing is rusty as can be. didnt feel bad putting it under the knife. Got a long way to go. fun to be into metal work again, my favorite part.

p.s. any of you that live in the rocky mountain area and own hot rod shops...:deal Id love to live in that area. Might even do the eastern mountains. Ok enough of my shamless plug. :roll

Attachments

• 71 chop 3.jpg
    71 chop 3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 71 chop 4.jpg
    71 chop 4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 71 chop 5.jpg
    71 chop 5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 71 chop 6.jpg
    71 chop 6.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 55

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I recognize that disease!

I'm not sure what to call it, but I've apparently got it as well. Just when you get to a certain part in a project (the one where you need the Bag o'Dollars for me) you go and find something that for whatever reason you've got to have.

I suspect it's a healthy thing, unless you are a focused, complete-the-project-on-time kinda guy (which I am not!). You seem to suffer from the same affliction :).

Congrats on your new project. If it makes you happy and you are excited, and it doesn't come from a pill, what can be wrong with that?

Cheers!

TomK

482STROKER

Well Known Member
if you want to freak people out at the stop lite make sure you have a tunnle ram hanging out of the hood, thats cool !!

bobs409

Administrator
Don't let that rust scare you. There's no difference in replacing a floor pan or rocker because of a little rot or alot. :D The nice thing is everything is available and at decent prices too! Why is it that Impala parts are so expensive but truck parts are so cheap? :dunno (Chevelle parts are about in the middle)

I'm in the process of replacing the front floors and braces on my 71 C20 right now. The sawzall got a good workout. Getting it ready to hit the road very soon.

I like metal work too but will be very glad when these floors are done.

Bob

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your not alone

Your not alone in this madness I'm in the middle of my W engine in my 51 chevy project last spring when suddenly I find myself at a Ratrod fest and this urge comes over me like a tidle wave. that night I pulled the 57 Hemi out from were it has been sitting for who knows how long. It is now on one of my engine stands along side of the 32 Ford chassis that came home a few weeks later from PA:doh The mad man is looking for a body to go along with the chassis and the sain half is shouting in the back ground to concentrate on one project at a time:rolleyes: What to do what to do:takethat

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
At my house, the mad man almost always has his way. This must be some kind of contagious disease with no real cure...and women are usually immune!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Ken, I thought you were putting that HEMI in the '51 Suburban:dunno,Now your'e starting to scare me.:eek: Don't put that '51 on the back burner:cry. Throw the Hemi in to the Nomad and then Your wife can have something to drive.:bow Of course everything has to be after the '51:cool::?

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ken, I thought you were putting that HEMI in the '51 Suburban:dunno,Now your'e starting to scare me.:eek: Don't put that '51 on the back burner:cry. Throw the Hemi in to the Nomad and then Your wife can have something to drive.:bow Of course everything has to be after the '51:cool::?

No No No:doh Holly craparoni The Hemi is now slated to go into a 20s 30s hotrod. The 396 that came out of the 51 is going into the Nomad and the 427 that came out of the Nomad is going up for sale ( Original 66 Vette 427 with a standard bore:brow) Money for all this madness has to come from somewere:beerbang And yes I am going to finish the 51 first I'll just pick up parts when they become available for the other projects so I'll be ready to go when the time comes. We will see how that goes:rolleyes:

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I yam I yam:yawn: I'm tired of working on all of the other crap that never seems to take a rest all I want to do is work on the hotrods. Did I mention that I picked up a late model FI Vette engine and trans for Wheel hop (52 Chevy Panel) Want to do a long distance cruiser with that one. Yes yes I am crazy:scratch Oh well:dunno. Ken

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bubble, Looks like a fun project. Congratulations....Keep the progress pictures coming....:brow

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Thanks guys. Trying to keep this "low budget" and probably sell it. Thought I would give this a try. Might as well try to make a little money and do something I like at the same time. Not to mention what Ill learn on the way. Looking forward to it.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Couple more pics. Got the driver front mount raised. Here is a couple shots. Sure hope I know what Im doing. But it sure is fun trying. :roll I suppose that is how you learn. This just might be one of my favorite parts of the build is the metal fab. Just alot of fun when you can take your time.

Attachments

• 71 chop 9.jpg
    71 chop 9.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 71 chop 10.jpg
    71 chop 10.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 71 chop 11.jpg
    71 chop 11.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 43

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thats the way it's done just tac weld everything in place until you have everything were you want or need it. That way if you need to change anything it wont be a big deal to undo it. Good luck with the build. Ken

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Got the cab back on the frame pads today for a quick look. Not to bad. The drip rails are right at 5' from the ground. Its still has all the stock suspension and no weight on the frame yet. Just the cab and 1 fender. Still need to buy 5" of drop spindles/springs. and put a drivetrain in it. This thing should be pretty low. Any one on here have drop spindles or drop springs laying around.

Attachments

• 71 chop 13 small.jpg
    71 chop 13 small.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 37

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a set of drop springs for the front. They are 2" or 3". I would have to look. New never installed.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I have a set of drop springs for the front. They are 2" or 3". I would have to look. New never installed.

That would be great. Are you interested in doing some trading? Still got that rear wiring and those wraps. Think about it and let me know.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
No No No:doh Holly craparoni The Hemi is now slated to go into a 20s 30s hotrod. The 396 that came out of the 51 is going into the Nomad and the 427 that came out of the Nomad is going up for sale ( Original 66 Vette 427 with a standard bore:brow) Money for all this madness has to come from somewere:beerbang And yes I am going to finish the 51 first I'll just pick up parts when they become available for the other projects so I'll be ready to go when the time comes. We will see how that goes:rolleyes:

When it becomes decision time for the 427 let me know what you want for the engine. I can honestly say that I don't need another one but it could come live with some of it's cousins. :roll:roll

Bill