I Need Help with Muncie 21 Front shaft seal?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I’m in the process of rebuilding a Muncie 21 and can’t find a front shaft bearing seal anywhere. I located a rebuild kit and syncro assembly from a supplier in Las Vegas which arrived with a new front bearing but not the seal. The parts suppliers say the seals are no longer available and everybody is putting them together without a front seal. I’m worried about leakage out the front shaft and getting on the clutch. My old seal was shot and the clutch was contaminated with oil.
I’ve checked GM parts and Napa parts and both have discontinued stocking the seals.

Anybody know where I can locate one or have any experience running without one?

Thanks,, Mick

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,, do you have a seal number off of the seal?
do you have a g.m part number?
can you get shaft size, bore size and width?
if you have the seal out take it to a good bearing house like kaman or motion
they should be able to get it or cross it over.
hope this helps mike

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Well, that might be the answer. However, the parts book calls for a N307LOE output shaft seal and the seal that was on the shaft was a 41307B. The local bearing shop here stopped carrying that seal last year.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
SKF Chicago Rawhide

Call these guys. May help. SKF customer support 1-800-882-0008

55Chevy283

The only seal on the muncie is the bearing retainer to case seal. This seal can be eliminated by using rtv in its place and makes the imput shaft much more stable. However, use very little. Just enough to make the seal do not allow it to get into the bearing this will cause failure. it you are getting oil in the clutch area, you may need to check the cluster pin as leaks here are common in old used muncies with the case wollowed out in this area. Another problem could be simply overfilling the case.

If you really want an oil seal for the front retainer, and you have the 26 spline unit, chuck the retainer in the lathe and turn out an area just a few thousandths smaller than the outside diameter of a Ford Tremec 3+overdrive transmission and use this seal. It should work.

Have fun.

Henry

55Chevy283

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Henry! I will go the RTV route and cross my fingers..

Really appreicate your post.

Regards,
Mick

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
the number n307loe is a bearing number as far as i can get.
go to www.dandltransmission.com they list this as a bearing for $23.30 for a muncie trans
the number 41307b i can not find but will look in the books monday, is this a g.m number or a seal mang. number?
you can check www.tbtrans.com