I thought this one would make you laugh.

b-d409

Well Known Member
I've been looking to buy another car. Either a Nova or a Vette. I found a vette for sale on e-Bay that just didn't seem like it was on the up and up.

1968 #'s matching 427 - 390HP 4 speed. Nice clean pictures of everything. There was a starting price of $6000.00 with no reserve. This was a pre-approved bidder 1 day auction.

I figured the whole thing must be bogus seeing how there were only 7,700 of these made. I e-mailed the guy to get pre-approved :roll and asked for a # to contact him at to go over some details. Big surprise there was no reply. The auction ends with no bids. :dunno I can't imagine why?

I just got an e-mail from the guy. Here it is.
Thank you for your recent request to bid on my item!
The item is a 1968 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Coupe in perfect woring
conditions without any mechanical problems. The item has a Clear Title wich
you will receive once whit it, and it has only 52784 milles on it. The price
for the car is $8,000 . If you have any questions at all, please let me know
and I will be more than willing to help you out! If you would like to go
ahead with an order right away contact me via e-mail and i will let you know
more about the transaction.
After receiving this, I e-mailed back inquiring as to the vehicles location and asking for a VIN #. Here's what I got back.
the car is located in SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA

so please let me know for sure that you want it , and also i will need your
name and address so i can send you the car.

The payment works like this:
Step 1:
Both parties agree to terms, which includes a description of the merchandise, sale price, number of days for the Buyer's inspection, and shipping information.
After both parties have agreed to the terms, the Buyer will be asked to submit payment.
The Buyer submits a payment, selected by the seller.
Step 2:
The Buyer submits their payment to a subsidiary of SquareTrade.
When payment is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. After payment is secured, the Seller is notified by SquareTrade to ship the merchandise to the Buyer.
Step 3:
The Seller ships the merchandise to the Buyer using an approved delivery service.
The Seller must initially pay for the shipment of the merchandise. If the Buyer is responsible for paying the shipping costs, the Seller will be reimbursed when the
transaction is complete. The inspection period (5 days in our case) will not begin until SquareTrade has confirmed delivery of the merchandise.
Step 4:
When the Buyer accepts the merchandise or the inspection period expires (at
which point, the Buyer automatically accepts), the disbursement of payment
will begin.
Step 5:
If the Buyer accepts the merchandise, the Seller will be paid.
What are the benefits? This kind of payment act`s as a secure third party to protect the Buyer and Seller.
How Buyers are protected: The Seller isn't paid until the Buyer accepts the merchandise, or the inspection period expires.
How Sellers are protected: The Seller is authorized to ship only after SquareTrade verifies good funds.
After this, I replied back once more. Here is my last e-mail.
Please send me the exact location of the car so I can have an inspector
look at the car, verify title to cars VIN, verify clean title, and run a
vehicle history report for me. Once this has been done, I will fly out to
vehicle location and we can go to the local DMV together to transfer
title.

Sound OK?

Big surpise I have received no further e-mails from this person. :dunno
How stupid is this guy? :roll Or I guess I should say - How stupid does he think other people are to buy into something like this.

I just thought you guys could get a good laugh.

Dan

Super(sport)Man

Well Known Member
Shoot, I bet there'd be several NorCal people on this board, myself included, that'd be more than willing to take a run to San Jose to check this out for the cost of gas, as well...

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
One word Nigerian scam artists or 419'ers. They have been doing this more and more. The place you money goes to is NOT and ebay company. It goes to another bank where they can remove the funds and leave you hanging.

You did good to ask all of the right questions!! And never ever give Anyone any info no matter what.

Mike

FS560

Well Known Member
scams

For the last 5 months, I have been averaging 2 -3 emails per day to my personal email account (not excite, hotmail, etc) soliciting money laundering opportunities from Africa.

It is usually purported to be someone with 19 million to 47 million dollars of family money they need to get out of the country after a plane crash or something.

I realize they are trying to get confirmation of a real email account or even identification to steal.

Now, the part I do not understand. Who are the idiots that respond to this stuff?

biscayne60

same happen to me

Hi ,just let You know that almost the same happen to me ,I was looking at a car yesterday on ebay a 1966 fairlane ,look like a very nice car from the pictures for $2,700US a deal to good to be true ,the car location was suppose to be in prince edward island in canada,so I send a email to the seller asking the price for shipping to my place Quebec in canada,
Supprise I receive a email from ebay that said ,I was pre-approved to buy the car .
After another email from the seller that said I been pre-approved and I was the buyer of the car ,and need my name and adress to send the car to ,and I had to send the money via from a bank to another very suspicious.
And another Supprise the car was not in prince edward island but was located in Europe Greece and it will be send by DAS insured cargo to my adress .
Hey I panic a bit , I send a email to ebay explaining what happen ,that I only ask the price for shipping not buying ect.
After I send another email at the seller telling him the same thing , No reply ,Isend 3 mores emails , no reply yet, seem like the seller disappear, I check the seller feedback 0 feeedback no sale yet, more and more suspicius.
If you want to take my advice always check seller feedback on those transaction.
Regard biscayne60

bobs409

Administrator
How are these people able to list this stuff? When I signed up to sell, they wanted everything but my mothers maiden name!

Is this what the slime balls are doing when they steal someone password with those fake ebay e-mails?

If people like this put half as much energy into doing something legal, we'd all be alot better off. Maybe someday, we'll get to see justice served on all the spammers and con artists on the web. Bunch of low lifes!

crossy

well i have the 75 4x4 that is listed on the FOR SALE section of this forum. I have it listed on cars-on-line.com and i get 3 Emails a week from the scammers, but i Had heard that the ebayer scammers were cloning ads & pics of actual cars trying to get people to send deposit money on the 'deal' they just got. I use a yahoo mail address for nothing but my ebay stuff and got an email last week telling me that someone tried to use my password and they needed verification of who i was or my ebat privelages would be revoked immediately. I called the bluff because they wanted to know ALL my personal stuff including email passwords & such. I never got revoked. as a matter of fact I listed something 3 days later just to make sure.. so who was it that atually wanted ALL my personal info. the return address was SOME SORT of ebay address. ??? DAVE

BTW- i work with 2,000 people and meet thousands more every year and i try to educate everyone about NOT taking any sort of check and letting their merchandise go before the check clears. I own a fake $5,000 check on a deal that i did play out . they wanted me to western union the extra $3300 to an address in Brooklyn, N.Y.. I turned all the emails and a copy of the fake check into my local police detective. Days later he did call me back and told me that nothing will get done with it once it turnned into the Brooklyn police dept because Brooklyn(big surprise) has several thousand lying on their desks and none to check the addresses. Much to my surprise it was not a PO box ,but an actual address. prolly some abandon warehouse. DAVE

biscayne60

Scam Artist is back again!

Here wee go again , check that out on ebay ,item: 4512507327 1969 ford mustang boss 351, same person that almost got me last time , he said that i can have the car for $4,500US, a 1969 mustang boss 351 perfect condition to good to be true ,can you believe that ,I dont think so .
He is trying to get somebody money again so watch it.
Check the feedback on this person and the thing he has sell a big 0 .
And he always put is car for sale for just 2or 3 days very very suspicious.

biscayne60

BobsBB

Well Known Member
scamed

Somehow, this summer someone "took control" of my e-mail address i used for e-bay, and i cant figure this one out, but got into my e bay account, took all the funds i had in there and transfered them to a "transulvania withdrawal" (dollars, and cents), they got a little more than $600.00, for a period of 2 days after that, there were attempts to withdraw thousands from the account many times a day !!my bank noteified me of this un-usual activity, closed the account, i closed the the e-mail account, changed all the passwords, etc..this person even tried to post 1 day articals on me e-bay account !! no one can track this person, banks or e-bay..all in all i got the money back from the bank (fdic insured), and i sure lerned to be more careful !!what im saying is look out for yourself, because someone is out there sitting in front of there computer ( thats probley stolen ) waiting for the moment to steal your cash......just a heads up...people are sending e-mail that look just like e-bay's mail, but it isnt, as soon as you open them, or drag the cursor over them it automatic puts a bug in your system, and this person gets all your info stored inside your computer, then rips you off...use spy-wear often...

I too got ripped off by a dealer selling thru Ebay (Loooong story). Fortunately even though I got ripped it was a licensed dealer (in Mass.) and after I got the Mass attorney generals office involved I got $200 back off the $500 the "stole". Understand, this was a LICENSED Massachusetts auto dealer, and it took a YEAR to get anything back. Ebay (Squaretrade) was NO HELP WHATSOEVER!. If you have a problem forget help there. I had an attorney write the dealer threatening letters, forget that, they blew it off (and this was a DEALER not a private party). As far as I'm concerned, FORGET internet "deals" by ANYBODY, UNLESS you can actually go see the car (it's close by). There's NO SUCH THING as a "deal" on Ebay, don't be STUPID!. That said:

If it's a FAIR price, AND the seller has good feedback, and you can put some protections in the deal, then I'd say go ahead. But if you think your going to "steal" a car off a seller on Ebay you deserve whatever you get, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh.

I plan to begin selling on Ebay after the first of the year, youse guys posts here has given me thoughts about protecting myself, thank you VERY much, you've been a help to a "newbie". Evidently there are pitfalls.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
BobsBB, This is a good example of how important it is to run a"'REAL" time adware software.
I use AdAware Plus that runs in the back ground and stops all spyware. malware and browser hijack cookies and installations.

After several friends have had their computers invaded by these and their browers hijacked I have not had one problem.
I even have dropped my anti-virus software due to the efficiency of the AdAware software.

There are times it does interfere with legit operations but a simple "click" to disable it allows you to continue.

With all the BS that these turds throw at us and the down right theivery they do it is getting to the point that you have to keep adding potective software to the point that it does take some fun out of using the web.

You just have to make sure your computer is protected by the latest software and a firewall that not only blocks incoming hackers but out going as well. ,,,dq

BobsBB

Well Known Member
Thats what i use now "real time" spy-wear, it's so important to watch out for yourself, and your $$$, i learned the hard way :doh , fran, your not being harsh, thats just the way it is !

biscayne60

Scam Artist

Hey, the scam artist is gone ,just check this morning for that 1969 boss mustang that I talk You about yesterday item: 4512507327 on Ebay ,and its gone,it was on Ebay 1 day only ,I hope nobody got rob of there money .
Last time when he almost got me ,I send a email to Ebay to check that person,no respond yet.
He change is name every time when he do that .
I am sure is going to try again ,so be on the watch,if you see a deal to good to be true 99.9% thats him ,check the seller feedback and the thing he has sale ,maybe save you a lot of money.
biscayne60

60convert

Well Known Member
bad checks

if you have a bad check and you do buisiness at a level where you could blow that check up with the stamp on it that says it was returned I would do so and anythime I was at a swap meet or anything like that I would tape it so that everyone could see it. One time I was at a racingswap meet and there was a local engine builder there that had like a 2 grand check he had done that to so everyone there could see. you may not get your money back but at least he won't be able to drop bad checks as easily.
Jesse

409 Willy

Supporting Member 1
Scam Artists On Ebay

These SOB's are really screwing up a good thing. I caught an ad on Ebay for a fully restored NCRS spec 57 Corvette for $8000. The ad had a picture of a beautiful Turquoise 57 Vette. I Emailed this turkey, the story he Emailed back was the car was in England, belonged to his brother who was killed two months earlier in a motorcycle crash, he had to move immediately and needed to get rid of the car. Just sent him $5000, he would ship the car to my address and I could send him the remainder for the car. Man oh man, these people think we are idiots to fall for something like that. I noticed the car was not on Ebay the next day. So.....beware, if it sounds to good to be true, it is! Its just so typical these days.
409 Willy

biscayne60

Bingo! thats him, I told ebay about him ,I send 2 emails to ebay ,no reply yet , I hope ebay catch that guy.
The way he work is like that ,he put the car on ebay (always nice car to good to be true)for 1 or 2 days, after someone respond and I guess send some money ,thinking he have the deal of is live, Bingo ,the next day the guy is gone and there no way to track him .
So be on the wacth for him,tell alls yours friends about him ,maybe save them a lot of money.
biscayne60