I went and did it

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Looks good, it ain't rocket science. Never heard of muggy rods, looks like a good way to go. I've stick and brazed welded lots of stuff over the years, aluminum, cast iron , steel, ect. Hundreds of pounds on build up. Most of the times it worked. Good job. Talk to other knolowagable people and follow directions. What diameter were the rods and what amp settings did you use?

Thanks, I was a little apprehensive about doing this but then I thought what the h**l, after all the block was doing nothing but sitting in the basement anyway. I used their No. 77 rod 5/32" and varied the amps from 90 to 110. They say to use less than that but it did not weld very well and looked like dog poo. Just go slow and it seems to work well, some people say to heat the area to around 200° because it make the weld flow better but I just did it the way everyone else did and I think it worked out fine. I have everything cleaned up popped in one new frost plug so now I will pressure test it, so we'll see how it goes.

Here is the link
http://muggyweld.com/videos/cast-iron-videos