Identify Hole by Oil Filter

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I know I read on this website somewhere in the recent past about the holes near the oil filter. The hole on the block above the oil filter is for the oil pressure switch; however I have no clue as to the hole immediately to the left of that hole (toward the front of the engine) and above the freeze plug is. Is there a bolt or something that goes into that tapped hole? I went thru all my bolts and plugs that I kept when I disassembled the engine (and labeled) and i can't find anything that fits or goes into this hole. I even looked at pix of the engine when I got it and there is nothing in that hole.

What is its purpose? What do I use to plug it (if it needs to be plugged)?

IMG_2153 - small.jpgIMG_0124 - small.jpg

427John

Well Known Member
X3 later small and big blocks will have another one of those back by the bellhousing flange for use by later cars and trucks that had a further aft positioned clutch z bar.Remind me what you are dropping this into?67 and later trucks,68 and later novas,all camaro's,I believe 65 and later big cars and am unsure of chevelles but I think all used the more rearward position.The earlier cars,trucks and up to C3 corvettes used the more forward position I believe but this is without double checking so feel free to correct if necessary.

Last edited:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I am assuming there is a kit made to deal with early block later car if someone was to try this?
Robert

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
X3 later small and big blocks will have another one of those back by the bellhousing flange for use by later cars and trucks that had a further aft positioned clutch z bar.Remind me what you are dropping this into?67 and later trucks,68 and later novas,all camaro's,I believe 65 and later big cars and am unsure of chevelles but I think all used the more rearward position.The earlier cars,trucks and up to C3 corvettes used the more forward position I believe but this is without double checking so feel free to correct if necessary.
My 65 409 car has the Z bar that pivots at the front of the bell housing had to be that way because the steering box is positioned where earlier models Z bar was mounted

427John

Well Known Member
My 65 409 car has the Z bar that pivots at the front of the bell housing had to be that way because the steering box is positioned where earlier models Z bar was mounted

I am assuming there is a kit made to deal with early block later car if someone was to try this?
Robert
As Newby pointed out there were also some bellhousings that had provision for the ball stud,this would put the ball stud in nearly the same position as the provision on the later blocks.You could also fabricate a bracket to pickup existing bolt holes in the block to hold the stud.I had to do that for my old 64 chevy truck to put put a very late 454 in it,they had eliminated the forward provision for the ball stud on the block.It looks like hell but is pretty well hidden behind the corvette manifold.A few different manufacturers did the same thing by stamping out a simple L shaped bracket that used a couple of bellhousing mounting bolts for attachment.I used 2 bellhousing bolts but also had to make a leg that went forward to a motor mount bolt to stabilize it because the ballstud mount was so far forward,that wouldn't be required for a rear mount.For anyone putting a late model crate motor in an early stick car or corvette that has a block with the eliminated provision,one of the big outfits like pace or scoggin dickey offered a bracket similar to what I made.

Last edited:

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I really appreciate the pix by Tripower. As to what vehicle this engine is destined - unknown at this time. My wife caught on and asked me "what type of tin are you planning to wrap around the engine when you get done building it?" My first thought "busted!" Anyway, I prefer 61 - 64 full size, 2-door cars. I am also considering putting it in a 55 - 57 2-door wagon/delivery or maybe a C3 stingray. Nothing in the works, just a lot of looking (ogling and drooling, actually). What's that thing you guys are always saying "it's just money" or something like that.

By the way, do I need to put a bolt or plug in the hole or is it blind?