Identifying a crankshaft

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
A while back, I bought a bunch of extra parts from a guy. Included was a 1958 348 block and a loose crank that he said did not go with that block, but said it was a 348 crank. The casting number on it is 3732692. I have found lists of casting numbers for basically everything else, but not cranks. I have a line on a 409 crank, but would like to confirm what this is before I buy the other one.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
409 and 348 cranks have a different flange for the drive plate/flywheel

409 has an oblong shape with a notch

348 is consistently round with a notch,
IMG_0579.JPG

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Hey Carl, what is the casting number on that crank ? My 61 409 motors had the 072 crank but they were both late assembly dated motors

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'll check the crank casting number Tommy. The block was cast in November 1960 and the car was assembled in LA January 1961.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I checked my last 61 block and it does have the 4 X marks in the casting behind the flywheel. Casting date of L2060...Dec. 20, 1961. No assembly date as this engine was in a pulling tractor for years and has been decked. Crank looks like the standard 409 flywheel flange but does not have the 072 casting number. When I asked what the history of the engine was I was told it came out in a 62 SS and car was totaled in it's first year. Then the engine went to spend the rest of it's years in a pulling tractor. That's probably why it all looks so good now. In a pulling tractor....it's wide open for maybe 15 seconds and then shut down. No wear in the block at all....still has std. rod and main bearings and basically no ring ridge in the cylinders.
This info is provided for the Honorable Robert Street!!!!!!!!

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tommy, the only numbers and letters that we can find on the crank in the Gurney block (the crank is still in the engine) are O-191561 cast at the front and T83 at the back with an S next to it with a line through it similar to a $ sign.