If You Think POR 15 is Good Paint... Watch This Video! Paint Testing Eastwood, KBS, POR15, and More

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just saw that video the other day. I would have liked to see Rustoluem Rusty Metal primer in the test. Mike and I did a non-scientific test with the Rusty Metal Primer, years ago. Painted a piece of sheet metal with it and left it outside for a few years. held up very nicely with not cracking, peeling or creeping.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I've had mixed results with POR-15.

Ten years ago we sandblasted an X frame to bare, used the POR product line as instructed, used the metal prep wash (basically diluted Phosphoric Acid) and then brushed two coats of the Black POR-15 product. Used their Top Coat over that. '

Frame at first was assembled and then stored inside. Then it went outside under a tarp for 5 years or so (don't judge me, it was a space issue), then came inside for a few years. Been outside the past 3-4 years, lightly tarped. Considering all the time passed, I thought this POR product held up fine... Maybe it's the top coat?

In another application, I purchased new half pans and other cross pieces (struts, etc.) with that black coating on them, so I roughed them up and used one coat of POR-15 brushed on. No top coat. Handed those to a miscreant posing as a "body and paint man" who stored them on a dirt floor in a barn for several (maybe 3?) years. When I retrieved them I could see the top layer of POR-15 peeling badly. Once I started, it peeled off in sheets. Big sheets. Pretty much stripped the POR off and recoated with, you guessed it, Rustoleum oil base using the brush. Flowed out well and now sits in the body of the car (unfastened). Might be the prep on this second use of POR-15.? Or where it resided while not in my possession.

Given the high cost and low performance of these Rust Encapsulator products, I have been using locally purchased Rustoleum products with the same prep procedure.

Good luck! TomK

Well Known Member
I bought some POR 15 around five years ago. Never got around to use it. I want to use it on the chassis but I don’t know after this video if I’m gonna use it. Plus what’s the shelf life ,may be mine is not even any good anymore.More money down the drain.
1704481113821.jpeg

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I had a chance in '05 to visit Jay Leno's car collection and shop. While there they were in the process of restoring three cars as I recall. One was an old Deusenberg I don't recall what the others were. I asked the chief guy several questions including what they painted the frames and chassis with. I was surprised when he said Rustoleum products but that's what he said.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The acid tests and the corrosion resistance don't really apply in my mind. I am not restoring a car to use it daily driving in salt water, salted roads nor acid baths. The vehicle is going to kept indoors protected from the elements. I have used rustoleum oil base gloss black on several cars. The only degradation I have seen is a loss of some of its "glossiness" over a period of a few years.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
I used a product called “Chassis Saver” on my ‘57 when doing the frame off. I think it has stood up very well to the elements. I have noticed some peeling where gas or brake fluid have touched it. The stuff wears like iron. If you open a can and don’t seal it properly, it will turn to a rock inside the can. You need to make sure no paint is on the inside of can lid or it will permanently seal it. Works well to put metal inside paint can keeping paint level at top and sealing lid with rubber throw away glove between lid and can. This stuff turns rock hard when exposed to air. I used a brush on all my parts.

Fuzz

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In my experience POR 15 works good over wire brushed metal but it needs a top coat for UV protection otherwise it will go chalky. I like the POR 15 semi gloss spray bomb top coat but it is pricey. It an go over clean bare metal directly or over the original POR 15 rust encapsulator.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I always called it POS-15 as it has never worked well for me on anything I painted with it. On the other hand, their POR-20 exhaust paint has held up really well on the 409 exhaust manifolds I did 7 years ago.