Impala blown up on tv....

BISCAYNE61

I was watching Mythbusters on the Discover channel the were trying to see how far they could jump a car with rocket motors attached to it. It was disturbing to see they were using a 68 impala 2 door which looked to be in pretty good shape. They hacked it up to put the rocket motors in, and when the motors ignited it blew up. What a waste I hate to see these tv shows and movies destroy these classic cars. Damn at least use a 4 door.

bobs409

Administrator
I no longer watch that show ever since they hacked up a 66 Caprice. The car survived it's jet engine hack job but they probably just junked it.

All these shows have to do is destroy an old Chevy and I'm done with it. Monster Garage was another one. When they destroyed the El Camino, I never watched it again! :mad:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was watching it once and they were trying to imitate the shark from Jaws ramming the boat. They trashed about a 1947 32' Hunter...:doh :doh

Attachments

• sportcruiser.jpg
    sportcruiser.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 41

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We just had this conversation at the bar about a commercial we saw ,the one where they grapple a 68 Camaro !!!:cuss :mad:
It lead to the other commercial by State Farm where they run the convertible Camaro off the cliff into the ocean!!

Then you have movies !!!:mad:

Seeems it is the new thing,, OK not new,,, to destroy old classic cars !!!

I CAN`T STAND IT !!!!:takethat

wc chevys

Well Known Member
Alot of times they find junk cars to destroy. For example a good friend of ours sold a 55 chevy conv. to movie people that filmed a movie in Nelsonville,OH. called Mischief it starred Kelly Preston.Any way the 55 was really rough they got it to run (barly) filled it full of bondo sprayed on some shiny paint and thats the car they destroy in the movie, even most of the chrome was bad not much was lost

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
It could be worse.Just imagine how Mopar guys must cringe everytime some
a**hole jumps another "General Lee" into the great junkyard in the sky. It makes me wince!:bang

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Alot of times they find junk cars to destroy. For example a good friend of ours sold a 55 chevy conv. to movie people that filmed a movie in Nelsonville,OH. called Mischief it starred Kelly Preston.Any way the 55 was really rough they got it to run (barly) filled it full of bondo sprayed on some shiny paint and thats the car they destroy in the movie, even most of the chrome was bad not much was lost

It don`t matter how ugly the car was BEFORE the shinny stuff,,
Just one less classic to restore !!:takethat

AND a convertable ?????:cuss

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
DQ

Sometmes its time to die, hug a tree, really rusty cars need to die.

Bill

Figures to me if you can get it running, and make it presentable even from a camera it`s worth keeping,,
Look at some of the cars the members here save !!!
I disagree with your statement

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Was the myth they were busting the "JATO Impala" myth? They were probably trying to keep it close to the car in the myth (a '67 Impala).

mythbusters

I like the show, but I do cringe when they go car hunting. How about the 'Vette they rotted the pig inside.

I agree that they could use later model iron and achieve the same results. But the guys you really have to blame is the fool that sold it to them. They are very up front about what they are going to do with it.

GV

bobs409

Administrator
It don`t matter how ugly the car was BEFORE the shinny stuff,,
Just one less classic to restore !!:takethat

AND a convertable ?????:cuss

I agree with that. Some people think these antique cars are a renewable resource or something. (Boyd!) Once they're all hacked up or blown up, that's it folks. I know, there will always be survivors but are you going to be able to afford one? I don't think I will.

While it may happen on occasion, I really can't see a movie or TV exec's going through all the trouble of getting a complete rust bucket and spending the money/taking the time of fixing it up. It's far too easy for them to wave their money around and buy a decent car to destroy. Why would they care about an old car? A few thousand which is nothing to them can get them a really decent car.

I may be wrong but that's the way I see it. :cuss

wc chevys

Well Known Member
This is totaly ironic since we were just talking about this on here ,but tonight there was a commercial for Volunteers of America in central Ohio.They launch a 69 camaro blue with Yenco strips into a lake. Hopefully just a clone car but still sad

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have seen most of the shows mentioned on this thread and I cringe everytime I see these things happen to an old car. We love these old things and as the supply of them dwindle the cost goes up. You are looking at $30,000 plus to restore a car and that is if you have the car. I was at the last cruise in and there was a 56 Chev 4 dr hardtop for sale. This car was rust from floor, quarter panels and had no engine or trans. It was for sale for $5000. My wife could not believe it. It was sold. The car hobby will escalilate right out of our hands as the supply goes down. I'm really glad I'm 68. Roy