Impala grab bar installation 1962

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
If you have all the hardware that goes with the grab bar you don't need a template, the reinforcement determines where it goes. If it isn't in place the bracket won't fit the dash.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have made a template for the side of 61-62 grab bars -with the correct hole sizes to drill
and the correct Philips mounting screw sizes as I recall.
The screws for the reinforcement behind dash metal use the holes drilled into the metal but do not attach to the metal -they screw into the reinforcement. I know I kept original screws to use to select/buy new mounting screws for the reinforcement bar.

It was traced from my factory 62 SS car and has lots of notes on it to tape it to the dash and drill size -3 holes to drill -see below my picture of my 62 SS Impala dash.
Here is the reinforcement bar (does not come with screws to mount it)
https://show-cars.com/product/3605

just a few $ to ship one in a large envelope to minimize folding.

I have made or traced or copied about 25 templates for items on 62's

Paul

62 extra pictures 022.jpg

The picture is great hello please some send that the template and the pictures are great to Doug Daggett 4736 Drew Street Northeast Salem Oregon 97305 thank you really appreciate it please send

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I checked the assembly manual measurements for the grab bar “compared to my 2 factory 1962 SS Impalas and my template” made from one of my factory SS car’s and both measurements on the template are from 1/4 inch to .3 inch off.
Strange that the assembly manual measurements are that far off.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
what are these posts supposed to mean ?

544927105313/163
Mc163

Are you still asking for my template?
Paul

62convert

Might want to delete posts 10 and 12 with the numbers. I don’t think the owner of those numbers wants anyone else spending his money.

Rlm765

I checked the assembly manual measurements for the grab bar “compared to my 2 factory 1962 SS Impalas and my template” made from one of my factory SS car’s and both measurements on the template are from 1/4 inch to .3 inch off.
Strange that the assembly manual measurements are that far off.
Hi Paul,

I was told by another forum member that I may be to but templates for grab bar and trunk lid “impala SS” emblems ? If so, I would like to purchase ! Thanks Paul
Roger

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Factory 1962 Impala hardtops and convertibles came with one of the grab bar holes punched in the dash.
I have a traced template from a factory 1962 SS impala for the side mount for the grab bar that I can sell with shipping /
Paul