Info on the Powerpack heads

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone here has used these heads with good results. Casting # is 3884520. I know that they are small valve (1.7, 1.48) but they have 60 cc chambers which would give quite a boost in compression. Thanks in advance for the info.

Willy

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I would think on a small cubic engine not turning fast they would be o.k. I for one would find a set of vortec heads. Much better performance possibilities. Even the 305 HO heads would be better. Sorry, I don't have any casting numbers handy.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:? I think If you check the volume of the intake runner and it was in the 160 range and you put them on a 327 or less with a tighter LSA cam they would work. What is it you are trying to do?:scratch

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:crazy Install 1.94 intakes,1.5 exhaust valves,a little bowl clean up.replace guides if needed,you've got a very peppy 327-350 up to about 5000 rpm.Brian';s right, A set of L-30[305=1.84 in,1.5 ex.,58 cc's ] on a 283 based engine is good for 20 hp [minimum] over the modifyed power pack.s.L31[350] heads 1.94,1.5-63-6 4 cc's,larger ,better designed ports[30 hp.minimun ov er the power pack head] In my experiance,the L31 head is by far the be st bang for the buck in terms of torque and power probuction.As Derry asked,what are you trying to get the engine to do,and what size engine are you using them on?
/

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
Well I was looking to put them on at 350 that is in my 64. I am just looking for a little boost in power nothing crazy just trying to find a good streatable combination. The heads I am currently running I feel are holding me back a bit they are a set of 882 with 1.94 1.5 valves and 76 cc chambers, flat top pistons, and an XE274H cam specs are .490 lift intake and exhaust, 230 and 236 duration at .050 and 110 LSA. With the heads that are on it the compression ratio is about 8.9:1, and using a cr calculator with the 60 cc chambers it would be about 10.5:1. The bump in compression would be nice, but the only thing I am worried about is the flow of the powerpack heads, if I do put 1.94 valves, would they get shrouded? I would love to use the heads because I only have $125 in them, and they are fresh heads just got rebuilt.

Thanks for the help
Willy

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
The money you would have to put into these 520 heads would be better served buying a nice set of heads that will suit your needs off of ebay. If these 520's are uncut you could sell them to a person that is doing a restore of a 283 car. That would be money for the better heads

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
Ok I knida figured that when I bought them, but for the price I couldent pass on them. Thanks for the help and I will post them on here if anyone is intrested.

Willy