Inner rocker replacement questions

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm looking at possibly replacing the inner rockers on my 1962 Belair sedan car. Might be in small sections, could be the whole nine yards. Here's my question(s):

Is it possible to cut out and then replace those inners and not damage the existing paint job? The outer rockers appear to be OK, I know they've been smoothed out a bit in the past. I just don't want to have to be forced to consider a repaint if I don't have to.

I was thinking of possibly trying out that 2 part epoxy they use on newer cars at assembly time (as opposed to welding). Any suggestions here?

Thanks in advance :).

TomK

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom

I'm not sure what your plan is but the inner rocker is Lshaped at the top and is welded in place under the floor pan lip. The metal for the inner rocker is made from a heavy gauge metal and I dont think there is any chance that you can epoxy it in place. As far as the paint goes the only spot welds that would affect the paint are in the lower lip of the rocker and if they were drilled and then rewelded all you would need to do would be paint the lower lip which can hardly been seen.

If you still wanted to put them in you could cut the Lshaped lip off the top and butt it against the floor pan where it could be welded in place.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks

Bill, thanks for the tips. I took another look underneath, fitting the inner up so I can get the geometries. I don't do too well with puzzle pieces :).

Since it's so structural I would think welding up the drilled portions makes sense. Just thought epoxy might be a consideration.

Best,
TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Use a spot weld cutter to drill out all of the spot welds remove the old piece then fit your new piece in. Then clamp and plug weld the new piece in. Refinish the lip with rustoleum even and call it a day. Using epoxy would be a huge mistake and you would have to repeat the process once more the right way. Do it right the first time and be done with it....:deal Good Luck