Iowa 348/409 Drag Race July 23,24, & 25 at Onawa Dragway $ 4000 payout now….to the racers

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think people are afraid of Paul and yourself after seeing the results of the last Iowa race. That's why it's called a bracket race. You don't have to be a full blown racer or have a dedicated race car to win.

Don't see anyone from the west and only 1 from the south......:burnout With the Dragway 42 race the following week, the guys from the east won't be able to make it. That's just the way the scheduling had to be.

Last edited:

GSquared

I think people are afraid of Paul and yourself after seeing the results of the last Iowa race. That's why it's called a bracket race. You don't have to be a full blown racer or have a dedicated race car to win.

Don't see anyone from the west and only 1 from the south......:burnout With the Dragway 42 race the following week, the guys from the east won't be able to make it. That's just the way the scheduling had to be.

GSquared

We totally understand here at Onawa Dragway the conflict of Rock n Race . It's a hell of a show . I worked there for 3 years and Don Moyer is one the best promoters I have ever worked with . We are still trying to find that right time to have our nostalgia race . Not sure it will stay this weekend in 2022 but we gotta find a weekend and make it work for us . Give Don a big hug for me .

GSquared

Trophies for Winner and Runner up will be similar to the one shown

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_143937883_BURST001~2.jpg
    IMG_20200726_143937883_BURST001~2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 25

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
GSquared

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input. Hopefully we can get more cars and have a full field.
Looking forward to visiting your new facilities.

Later
Dave

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome to the forum GSquared, Thanks for all the work you are doing and I am sure you guys will get it dialed in!!!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I ham sure I could borrow a trailer or or rent one for you
Paul

check my track post items today the race gets better
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Nathan does such a great job working on my car I figured we would let him wrench on it again. LOL! Seriously I just pulled the stroker engine out last night and was looking at what it would take to swap it in. :D It would double my hp and make it way more likely I would break something too. :cool:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had Meeting with the track manager of Onawa Dragway managed by Grai and Gary Harper - they are good operatorsj
  • For those wanting to arrive on Friday July 23 gates will be open by 2PM To stay overnight. I will be there Friday Afternoon. Paul Stensland call(. 712-223-1962 cell)
  • no problem running generators for power, they do not have power hookups.
  • we will be parking in our own space “togther in our own area about 300 ft from the starting line in the pits facing the track - she said they will mark our area + additional cars be located all togther - extra car/ trailers can go between racing trailers or in front or behind the two rigs. our space is grass.
  • our racers ( and our 348/409 vistors who could race,,,,,,,,enter on asphalt entrance racers road to the track and the paved return road in the pits. This RACERs GATE that has its own sign - access is located 1.1 miles south of the only stop light on Onawa , Iowa. Onawa Iowa which is only 2 miles east from north/south I -29
  • gates open Saturday & sunday at 7:30 AM, Time Trails 10:00 AM Eliminations 1 or 2 PM.
  • we could race both days - but I said Sunday only time trails on Saturday
  • using sportsmans tree 3 yellow then green red
  • track is treated concrete 1/8 mile ground for 1/4 mail - very smooth
  • the track will keep track of our best reaction light on Sauturday‘s Time trails for the $500 award we will give to the best light.
  • the track suggested the 1st round losres both of them could pay to run again and - the winner would then become at part of round 3
  • we can set up random cars to run as we line up or the track can pick from our qualifiers to pair of cars. Our group runs together.
IHRA rules roll cage for 6:50 better or 135 mph in1/8 mile for roll cage, I am sure the correct helmet and seat belts apples
our inspection of our racer will be in our pit area by track
racer and crew member entry is free. More crew members & visitors are $15 per day and $25 for 2 days.
we will receive and gas pump type thropy for winner and runner up From the track

Entry for extra cars in our group not racing is $15 per day or $25 for 2 days.
I suggest extra cars consider a time trail.

I am strongly considering catering a beef bar beer and pulled pork sanwiches dinner for all our attendees and their quests . To be held in air conditioned large concession building at the south end of the starting line around 6PM Saturday night July 24th. I will have at least 2 pop up tents around my trailer

call me 712-223-1962 cell
or could call Randy Johnson 515-850-8234

the current cars to come to the race from track managers
  • 12 AFX cars from 60’s
  • 20 gassers
  • 6 other gassers
  • 10-20 348/409 car - need more guys....
  • 72 & older class
  • muscle car class
  • bracket class
  • Foot brake class
for lodging you can get a discount from American Best Value Inn right by I-29 will give
a discount if you mention Onawa Dragway call 712-223-2101 - if you called using the 800 number - call
at the number you i. Gave you and they should give you discount even if already registered .

Paul Stensland
712-223-1962 cell
if you need to e-mai address call or text me

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Steve

Don't see your name on the list???????? Get that thing running and come on up.....:burnout
Id like to Dave, engine is at Morleys due to an oiling issue to top end. The good news is I think we figured it out and John is reassembling now thanks to James. He came down today and brought me a set of lifters that have the oil band lower to the point it is exposed 100% of the time to the oil galley, I should have the motor back where it belongs next weekend!!!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have an 11' Octagon screened/shade tent to set up for the boys where we will throw down a bunch of toys to play with if by chance anyone is bringing kids besides us. My boys are 2 and 4 so cars, puzzles, coloring. I don't know what the weather will be like but they can chill inside that without me worrying where they are running around in the pits. :D

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Id like to Dave, engine is at Morleys due to an oiling issue to top end. The good news is I think we figured it out and John is reassembling now thanks to James. He came down today and brought me a set of lifters that have the oil band lower to the point it is exposed 100% of the time to the oil galley, I should have the motor back where it belongs next weekend!!!

I've been following your problems Steve. Glad you figured it out hopefully....come on up...

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I had Meeting with the track manager of Onawa Dragway managed by Grai and Gary Harper - they are good operatorsj
  • For those wanting to arrive on Friday July 23 gates will be open by 2PM To stay overnight. I will be there Friday Afternoon. Paul Stensland call(. 712-223-1962 cell)
  • no problem running generators for power, they do not have power hookups.
  • we will be parking in our own space “togther in our own area about 300 ft from the starting line in the pits facing the track - she said they will mark our area + additional cars be located all togther - extra car/ trailers can go between racing trailers or in front or behind the two rigs. our space is grass.
  • our racers ( and our 348/409 vistors who could race,,,,,,,,enter on asphalt entrance racers road to the track and the paved return road in the pits. This RACERs GATE that has its own sign - access is located 1.1 miles south of the only stop light on Onawa , Iowa. Onawa Iowa which is only 2 miles east from north/south I -29
  • gates open Saturday & sunday at 7:30 AM, Time Trails 10:00 AM Eliminations 1 or 2 PM.
  • we could race both days - but I said Sunday only time trails on Saturday
  • using sportsmans tree 3 yellow then green red
  • track is treated concrete 1/8 mile ground for 1/4 mail - very smooth
  • the track will keep track of our best reaction light on Sauturday‘s Time trails for the $500 award we will give to the best light.
  • the track suggested the 1st round losres both of them could pay to run again and - the winner would then become at part of round 3
  • we can set up random cars to run as we line up or the track can pick from our qualifiers to pair of cars. Our group runs together.
IHRA rules roll cage for 6:50 better or 135 mph in1/8 mile for roll cage, I am sure the correct helmet and seat belts apples
our inspection of our racer will be in our pit area by track
racer and crew member entry is free. More crew members & visitors are $15 per day and $25 for 2 days.
we will receive and gas pump type thropy for winner and runner up From the track

Entry for extra cars in our group not racing is $15 per day or $25 for 2 days.
I suggest extra cars consider a time trail.

I am strongly considering catering a beef bar beer and pulled pork sanwiches dinner for all our attendees and their quests . To be held in air conditioned large concession building at the south end of the starting line around 6PM Saturday night July 24th. I will have at least 2 pop up tents around my trailer

call me 712-223-1962 cell
or could call Randy Johnson 515-850-8234

the current cars to come to the race from track managers
  • 12 AFX cars from 60’s
  • 20 gassers
  • 6 other gassers
  • 10-20 348/409 car - need more guys....
  • 72 & older class
  • muscle car class
  • bracket class
  • Foot brake class
for lodging you can get a discount from American Best Value Inn right by I-29 will give
a discount if you mention Onawa Dragway call 712-223-2101 - if you called using the 800 number - call
at the number you i. Gave you and they should give you discount even if already registered .

Paul Stensland
712-223-1962 cell
if you need to e-mai address call or text me

Good info Paul. Looks like the track is accommodating. Free entry is always good....:winner

Now all you need is MORE CARS......:winner