Iron powerglide replacement

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
There have been some earlier posts on the topic of replacements for an iron powerglide that don't get precisely to my dilemma. My question is very specific: how can I fit a '65-up powerglide into an x-frame car that came with an iron PG? The extension is longer, so there will either need to be some adjustment to the tail shaft or possibly fitting an extension from a '62-64 alloy PG (if I can find one). I would appreciate advice from someone who has done this swap. Also, are there any glitches with the column shifter and linkages, starter motor, etc.? Motor is small block in both cases, and I have two cars looking at swapping out the iron PG. I know a swap to a TH350 or better, a 700R4 is the way to go, but if you have an alloy 'glide handy, why not?

4spd409

Well Known Member
I would recommend a TH350 over the years I went from an iron glide to an aluminum glide to a TH350 The low end performance is much better with the lower first gear in the TH350 A short shaft 350 is the same length as a 4 speed or 3 speed overdrive so you might get lucky and find a factory drive shaft. The shift linkage was quite simple with some linkage from Ecklers. To change a long shaft PG to a short shaft requires major disassembly of the trans and would be costly unless you can do it yourself. A 700R4 changeover is more complicated.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
whichever transmission you decide on you could always have a driveshaft made. I don’t know what they cost where you are. but whatever you do, use a tranny jack to take that cast-iron beast out of the car. Don’t pull it lay it on your chest, then roll over and push it out the side of the car, Cough!cough! ask me how I know