Ironglide identify

59elcooldsuv

Well Known Member
The time has come that I must sell the iron powerglide that I had been wanting to rebuild and use, but I would like to identify it correctly.

Is there any functional differences in the iron pglides, or are they all the same from the start until they were replaced by the aluminum glides?

If there are differences, then how can I tell which one I have under the workbench?

It came out of a 1959 car, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't original equipment - the car had provisions for a clutch.

Any identification hints?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The time has come that I must sell the iron powerglide that I had been wanting to rebuild and use, but I would like to identify it correctly.

Is there any functional differences in the iron pglides, or are they all the same from the start until they were replaced by the aluminum glides?

If there are differences, then how can I tell which one I have under the workbench?

It came out of a 1959 car, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't original equipment - the car had provisions for a clutch.

Any identification hints?

Look on the rear side of the governor flange. You should find some letters/numbers which translate to:
C= Prefix- Cleveland Powerglide

2 digits= Month
2 digits= Day
1 letter=Shift D=Day shift, N=Night shift

55-57 passenger tailshaft housing is 7 1/4 " long
59-62 passenger tailshaft housing is 5 " long
All Corvette PGs have shifter mounting bosses on tailshaft housing

Standard passenger torque converter has 18 bolts

Corvette, 348 engine applications, and 250 hp FI 283 passenger applications have 33 bolts holding the torque converter together. Also a special governor.
Corvette has no provision for oil cooler valve or fittings.

There several internal changes in 59 but nothing that would be visible from the outside.

There should be some casting numbers and dates on the main case and the tailshaft housing.

All should have a plastic nameplate on the top of the main case bell. Blue for all but 250 hp FI applications which should be red. 348/305hp applications should be white.

Hope this helps.:scratch

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for the accolades guys, but credit has to go mostly to Colvin's "Chevy by the Numbers 55-60". The info is available to anyone willing to look.:D