Is there a difference between 63&64 HP exhaust manifolds?

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
A friend of mine said he had a pair of 64 Manifolds at one time, and he is saying the 64 HP manifolds were a one year only manifold?
I told him I know the 65's are different due to chassis and steering gearbox, but I would think 63 and 64 would be the same?
Experts?

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
As I recall the 583/584 center dumps were functionally equivalent across 1962-3-4 passenger cars.

The 1962 manifolds would have a date code on them, the others not.

TomK

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Ok, now who has a pair they want to part with?
If a person isn't concerned with 100% original, are the repro manifolds as nice, or are they nicer than the GM parts?

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In my prior post, I've been mentioning I'm looking for a 60 Biscyane for my 63 409/425hp with 63 exhaust manifolds. In some of my searches 65 biscyanes have been popping up and I like the 65 biscyanes too.

So if I go with a 65 biscyane, I have to change my exisiting 63 exhaust manifolds?

Thanks Ted

20170502_174649.jpg

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I can't say that they absolutely will not fit, but I also can't say they will fit.
58-64 cars were X frame chassis wirh steering gearbox ahead of engine crossmember.
65 was the first year for perimeter frame with steering gearbox behind the engine crossmember, and that creates clearance issues between exhaust manifolds and steering box.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The good news is that there are people like me who plan to remove a pair of headers, and need to find a pair of 63-64 Hi Perf exhaust manifolds......hint,hint..wink,wink.

I like your hint especially since I had them ceramic coated. I hope too have a car early next year after I finish my honey do list and if they don't work will be for sale as I'm too old/young to hoard anymore:-)

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Yes...both 340HP and 400/425HP manifolds are the same for 63-64.

Phil might be an east coast thing but are you certain. Thought 340’s were 682 and 683. Hipo’s 925 926 both years. Have another big bowel of honey bunches
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Don't you just love automatic spell check Robert? It kind of fits though.

Yes Dave, but I have had spell check help me out big time. My attorney back in the day always said to me proof read any document that went out of the office and I did not follow her instructions that time. But who can justify my previous post as a document.:D:D
Robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Let me explain again....63-64 340HP exhaust are the same. 63-64 400/425HP 925/926 manifolds are the same.
62 over the counter exhaust manifolds, number 923/924, were part of the 1962 over the counter Service package, released in April 1962.

bobs409

Administrator
Let me explain again....63-64 340HP exhaust are the same. 63-64 400/425HP 925/926 manifolds are the same.
62 over the counter exhaust manifolds, number 923/924, were part of the 1962 over the counter Service package, released in April 1962.

Can you repeat that. Some of us didn't hear you. :D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ted,If that lovely 409 with the 63-64 hi-po manifolds winds up going into a 65 car,the exhaust manifolds and the oil pan will both have to be changed,period.You can sell those exhaust manifolds to Tom.Show Cars can fix you up on the pan,manifolds are another story.